+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to submit unusual post-secondary education in visa application?

Edenio1

Jun 10, 2019
I'm applying for IEC and am struggling to think of the best way to submit my education; I completed 3 years of a four year course, then took a year out (working for half and travelling for half). I then returned to a different university and transferred the credit's I earned at the first university to my second. This mean that I only had to complete the last 2 years of my initial four year course when at my second university. My degrees are awarded by the second university. In the application form I need to specify my employment history in which I've included: Student (3 years), Work (1/2 year), Unemployed (1/2 year), Student (2 year). In the post secondary education section I've included only the two years at my second university at which i was awarded the degrees. Should I also include the first 3 years at my first university in my post secondary education section?

Jun 11, 2019
Golden, BC
Presuming you're applying for a working holiday visa - you can if you want to; there's no reason not to; it doesn't particularly matter if you don't, though. The IEC visas are a straight lottery system and your education has as much bearing on your chances of being pulled out of the pool of applicants as any other factor other than the number of people in the pool, the number of visas available and the fact of your being in it - ie, none. The only reason I can think it'd even potentially be of any significance is if you apply for PR further down the line, but even if you don't put anything down in the short term there's no reason it'd matter later as long as you had the appropriate documentation.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
You should always try to include everything asked for on any form from Canada immigration given whilst may not be that critical for a successful IEC application immigration will have any such information in the system . So as per the previous post if in the future you decide to apply for PR you could have issues should anything come to light that you did not declare in the past. Worst case you could find yourself accused of misrepresentation leading to a ban from the country for a time.

So include everything asked for in any history, it will make little difference in getting an IEC but think of it that in completing the application you are making a statutory declaration to Canada Immigration that all information you have supplied is complete and true.

Jun 11, 2019
Golden, BC
Yeah, it's one of those things where it's technically true that you could be dinged for not mentioning, say a couple extra years of education...but realistically noone's going to care, the more so because you're not getting some sort of advantage from declaring it or not.

If you had some sort of issue that affected your eligibility - a criminal record the next country over, say, that you didn't mention - that'd be another matter, but eligibility for IEC visas essentially amounts to 'are you from X country and under a certain age' and 'do you have a pulse', and frankly the pulse is probably negotiable, so, really, go hog wild.