+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to sponsore my parents as a protected person

Akink

Aug 22, 2017
Hi everyone
I am a protected person who has applied the pr 11 months ago.
I have some questions;
Is there any way to sponsore my parents?
Can my parents come here to visit me by tourist visa?
If not now, when can I sponsore them?
I want my family here with me.
Thanks a lot.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
I would expect it will be difficult for your parents to get a visa given your status in Canada, at least until you have your PR. I suspect that IRCC will be concerned they will not meet the conditions of their visa.

In order to have them remain in Canada long term, you would need to sponsor them for permenent residence once you meet LICO and you are chosen in the PGP lottery.

Akink

Aug 22, 2017
Thanks for your quick reply. Also donyou know something about if I can sponsor them right away when I got my pr card or I should wait for a certain time?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/parents.asp

This year 10000 sponsors were randomly selected through a lottery system to sponsor their parents are grandparents. There are always many more applicants than spots. There is a lottery system done based on applications submitted at the beginning of the year. There is an application fee that you must pay and you must prove that you meet a certain minimum income for the 3 years before you are eligible for the sponsorship. Yes you can apply when you have PR if you meet the requirement but there is no guarantee that you will be selected.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
You won't actually be able to sponsor them until you meet LICO (minimum income) for a super visa or for their PR. They can apply for a TRV anytime, but as I said, your status will make it difficult for them to get approved.

PGP sponsorship requires you to meet the minimum Canadian income (LICO) for the 3 years prior to sponsorship, plus you have to get your application chosen during the draw that occurs at the beginning of each year. For a supervisa, you only need to meet LICO at the time of application. But it must be Canadian income.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Who is eligible to sponsor a parent or grandparent

You can sponsor your parent or grandparent if you’re 18 years of age or older, living in Canada and a:

• Canadian citizen or
  • person registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act or
  • permanent resident of Canada
If you live in Quebec, you must also meet Quebec’s immigration sponsorship requirements after we approve you as a sponsor.

Your responsibilities
When you sponsor a parent or grandparent to become a permanent resident of Canada, you must:

• meet certain income requirements
  • support that person and their dependants financially
You and the sponsored relative must sign a sponsorship agreement that:

• commits you to provide financial support for your relative (and any other eligible relatives accompanying them):
    • for a period of three to 20 years
    • depending on their age and relationship to you
    • beginning on the date they become a permanent resident
  • states that the person becoming a permanent resident will make every effort to support themselves
Dependent children under age 19 do not have to sign the agreement.

Quebec residents must sign an “undertaking” with the province of Quebec. This is a contract that binds your sponsorship.

Who isn’t eligible to sponsor a parent or grandparent
You may not be eligible to sponsor your parent or grandparent if you:

• are in prison
  • defaulted on an immigration loan (late or missed payments)
  • have declared bankruptcy and haven’t been released from it yet
  • received government financial assistance for reasons other than a disability
  • didn’t pay a court-ordered support order, such as alimony or child support
  • didn’t provide the financial support you agreed to when you signed a sponsorship agreement to sponsor another relative in the pastwere convicted of a violent criminal offence, any offence against a relative or any sexual offence, depending on circumstances, such as:
    • the nature of the offence
    • how long ago it occurred
    • whether a record suspension (formerly called “pardons” in Canada) was issued
Other factors not in this list might also make you ineligible to sponsor a relative.

Reactions: heystop

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Thanks for your quick reply. Also donyou know something about if I can sponsor them right away when I got my pr card or I should wait for a certain time?
As mentioned, after getting PR status you must wait until you have 3 years of minimum income for your family size, and then must also get selected in the parents lottery. So it will be a long wait.

Due to your status in Canada, I think it will be very difficult if not impossible to get any TRV/supervisa approved for your parents. Since you are from the same country, IRCC may strongly feel they would just make an asylum claim too if they arrived here. If they live in some other country and have strong ties there, they may have a chance.

Realistically, it may be a long time before you can see your parents again. Since you are not allowed to return to your home country ever again, you may need to meet your parents in some other country to see them again.

Akink

Aug 22, 2017
Thank You so much for the usefull informations. I think I should try to see them in a third country in this point.