+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to renew expired PR card outside of Canada?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Possibly a visa officer in a bad mood or something.

Provide the following copies:

Tax returns showing that you file together.

Any bank statements, utility bills, insurances etc. that are in both your names. Failing that, at least some official mail going to the same address.

A written statement from your husband stating that he is a Canadian citizen and that he is married to you. Better yet, if you personally know any dentist, doctor, lawyer or judge, get them to write a statement saying that they are so and so, have known you for such and such years and know that you are married and live together.

Your marriage certificate.

Your husbands birth certificate if he was born in Canada or citizenship certificate if he wasn't.

Your husbands Canadian passport.

txboyscout

Jun 9, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
03-08-2011
rmaalouli said:
Hi,
I sent the application with the requested documents to renew the PR; but they returned everything with a letter clarifying the following reason:
please provide proof of your relationship and/or proof of Canadian Citizenship”

To note that the both the follwoing documents were included:
1. a newly issued Familial civil Status record which shows that I am currently married to my husband. Doesn't this justify my relationship to my husband?
2. A copy of my husband citizenship. Isn't it a proof of Canadian citizenship?
Which other documents could provide the requested info?
Thank you
There are no other docs to provde. I guess you did not know that there are people at the VO's who cannot read :)

Gogia

Feb 19, 2013
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ur joint bank account most recent statement.stamped by bank......mortgage or marriage certificate...or lease papers...shows u r living together with the husband in canada....

cdnchris

Nov 9, 2016
As to not start a new topic I came across this one and thought I would add to it.

I've been married to my wife for over 13 years. We originally lived in Canada, got her PR card and all that and were pretty settled. After I lost my job I was able to find another job, but it was in Washington state. Initially the idea was to stay there a year or two and then maybe move to BC, but eventually I ended up just going for my green card and am now a citizen (dual between Canada and the U.S.) Her residency card of course expired about 6 or so years ago.

There is a possibility that within the next year or two we could be moving back to Canada. I'm in the process of getting our children their citizenship documents/cards (whatever they are now) and then their passports and SIN, but was also looking into my wife's PR card. We have lived together this whole time and have no problem providing evidence to prove this (years of tax returns, mortgage documents, various statements, etc.) and understand that because she has lived with me she is/can still be considered a resident. Would it be worthwhile renewing the card now or would it be better to wait until we go back to Canada? Since she's an American it's easier for her to enter the country of course, and of course we've visited many times over the years, but I guess I want to make sure as to the best route as I don't want to come off as being sneaky as that's certainly not the intent.

Also, I understand the card and everything can only be sent within Canada, not outside of Canada, but there is an address we can send it to there. It's not her/our primary residence obviously but for this purpose would I use it for question 12 on the application?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
cdnchris said:
Would it be worthwhile renewing the card now or would it be better to wait until we go back to Canada? Since she's an American it's easier for her to enter the country of course, and of course we've visited many times over the years, but I guess I want to make sure as to the best route as I don't want to come off as being sneaky as that's certainly not the intent.

Also, I understand the card and everything can only be sent within Canada, not outside of Canada, but there is an address we can send it to there. It's not her/our primary residence obviously but for this purpose would I use it for question 12 on the application?
The system is not really set up for people to renew their PR cards while not in Canada. However, there is nothing that forbids her from visiting Canada, applying while in Canada and then returning to her home in the US as she waits.

For question 12, you should change the question and cross out "in Canada" and write your true residential address below and the Canadian mailing address in question 13. You should include your proof of living together, a copy of your marriage certificate and a copy of your Canadian passport and you should include a cover letter stating that you do not live in Canada at the moment and that the Canadian mailing address is a secure address of relatives/friends where you will receive their letters.

Since you live abroad, it is very likely that immigration will not mail her new PR card but invite her to pick it up in person in which case she makes another trip in Canada in order to do that.

Having a valid PR card when you move to Canada can help with a lot of things like exchanging her drivers license, getting health care, getting a job etc.

cdnchris

Nov 9, 2016
Thank you so much for clarifying! We'll get everything together then head up to Canada to send it off when we get the chance to do so.