+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to prove Work Experience in Family owned company?

Sep 19, 2020
Hello everyone,
I have query about how to prove experience of working in a company owned by my family.

Here's my situation:
We own a company incorporated as Public Ltd, and shareholders of the company are my family members (father, uncle, mother, cousin brothers etc. and most shareholders, if not all, bears same family name). I am also a shareholder in the company and owns a little less than 10% of total shares. The company is engaged in construction business. I am working in the company since year 2009 and have been managing projects as a Incharge/Manager, and have experience of independently completing under my supervision a total of six projects totaling to combined cost of CAD 30 million from 2009 till now. Since June 2013, I have been appointed as Director of the company.

In express entry I am using the following NOC Codes
NOC Code 0711 - Construction Manager (for period Jan 09 to May 13) and
NOC Code 0016 - Senior Manager (from Jun 2013 till day)

The dilemma I face is how to prove my work experience and present my case. I see the following possibilities-

Option A:- Should i show myself as employed at the company. then the problem I face is that the experience letter of the company will be signed by my father. I can provide Salary slips and Income tax return, as supporting documents along with experience letter.

Option B:- Should I declare myself as self employed?

In either case I can submit the following documents to prove my experience:
1. Balance Sheets (for proof of Revenue) of the company from 2009.
2. Constitution of company
3. List of shareholders certified by Auditor
4. Government Contracts signed by me on behalf the company.
5. Minutes of meeting attended by me during my work with company.
6. some Letters written to government offices on behalf of my company (only some because there are thousands of them)
7. Board resolutions of the company wherein I have been/was authorized to act on behalf of the company.
8. Minutes of meeting of different Arbitration in which i represented the company.

Please give me your guidance as to how should i proceed so that my work experience is considered.

In my personal opinion, I think I should go with option B, and provide a letter of experience myself listing all the projects done by me. and then substantiating the same with the above mentioned documents.
Please also guide if using two NOC codes is fine?

Please guide, I am confused and cannot decide on how should I proceed.

Thanks in advance,
Dear please update on your PR status Thanks

Tutti0frutti

Oct 17, 2020
Hi ..

I am seeking your advice about an inquiry that I am considering to present in case I am asked by the immigration officer, whatsoever.

I have graduate back in 2013, specifically I finished my last course on 13th July ,2013 and received my graduation certificate on 15th Aug 2013.

During that period , I have worked as a full time employee at xyz company in abu dhabi , uae , starting from 28th July 2013 until 15th March 2014.

Xyz is an old establishment established back in 1979. Which my father is a partner of with a local individual. The company doesnt have social media presence at all.

I have worked as an admin assistant, for almost 8 months to gain experience ..

I never got a labour card, nor requested for a reference letter nor an offer letter.
However, I can still arrange for both as the experience is legit noting that I used to earn my salary in cash..

Since my father’s company is somehow old fashioned trading establishment, no official website nor official email domain exist; however we can still initiate the process of establishing both to prove that the company is a legitimate establishment ...i can also provide a trade license but my fathers name would be on it.. is this an issue ?? Or it will open gates to other questions ?

I kindly seek your help to avoid any mistake in representation and avoid any extra questions that could be asked by them for further investigations, also about the letter of explanation in case I was asked.

Following to that experience with my father’s company, I worked in a legal firm however for almost 1yr 10 months ;my job title was receptionist – noting that most of my duties were related to NOC1241 – admin assistant.

Can i receive a reference letter under the title of receptionist from the legal firm stating my duties and still consider it noc 1241?

I kindly seek your help to assist me in my query.

Shena123

Feb 26, 2021
Hello everyone,
I have query about how to prove experience of working in a company owned by my family.

Here's my situation:
We own a company incorporated as Public Ltd, and shareholders of the company are my family members (father, uncle, mother, cousin brothers etc. and most shareholders, if not all, bears same family name). I am also a shareholder in the company and owns a little less than 10% of total shares. The company is engaged in construction business. I am working in the company since year 2009 and have been managing projects as a Incharge/Manager, and have experience of independently completing under my supervision a total of six projects totaling to combined cost of CAD 30 million from 2009 till now. Since June 2013, I have been appointed as Director of the company.

In express entry I am using the following NOC Codes
NOC Code 0711 - Construction Manager (for period Jan 09 to May 13) and
NOC Code 0016 - Senior Manager (from Jun 2013 till day)

The dilemma I face is how to prove my work experience and present my case. I see the following possibilities-

Option A:- Should i show myself as employed at the company. then the problem I face is that the experience letter of the company will be signed by my father. I can provide Salary slips and Income tax return, as supporting documents along with experience letter.

Option B:- Should I declare myself as self employed?

In either case I can submit the following documents to prove my experience:
1. Balance Sheets (for proof of Revenue) of the company from 2009.
2. Constitution of company
3. List of shareholders certified by Auditor
4. Government Contracts signed by me on behalf the company.
5. Minutes of meeting attended by me during my work with company.
6. some Letters written to government offices on behalf of my company (only some because there are thousands of them)
7. Board resolutions of the company wherein I have been/was authorized to act on behalf of the company.
8. Minutes of meeting of different Arbitration in which i represented the company.

Please give me your guidance as to how should i proceed so that my work experience is considered.

In my personal opinion, I think I should go with option B, and provide a letter of experience myself listing all the projects done by me. and then substantiating the same with the above mentioned documents.
Please also guide if using two NOC codes is fine?

Please guide, I am confused and cannot decide on how should I proceed.

Thanks in advance,

Hi, I am in a similar situation....how was the result, did you suceed by showing you were an employee. What documentation did you give?