+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to prove my child has permission to immigrate?

Mar 22, 2010
Just a little east of the outback...
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

I'm an Australian engaged to a Canadian and we plan to marry in Canada in October. My 12 year old will be coming with me on my next trip and we will be staying for 3 months to celebrate the wedding and to put together the outland PR application. We will then travel back to Australia to await the decision.

My child lives with me most of the time but has frequent contact with her dad with whom i have a friendly relationship with. Neither of us have much faith in the family law system so when we broke up, over ten years ago, we did not seek a formal custody order and we have always just shared the parenting between us and it has varied according to our location and work responsibilities.

My ex is happy for me to take my daughter to Canada to live if she wishes to go, and she will be traveling back to Australia for the summer breaks, vice versa if she decides to stay there... we both think a PR visa would be a good thing for her to have even if she doesn't decide to live in Canada because when she travels alone between the two countries it might prevent problems at the airport.

So how can i prove that i have permission to take my daughter with me? Can my ex just provide a sworn Statutory declaration (affidavit) or must we have a formal court order? (which we don't want) My ex would also be happy to confirm his feelings over the phone if need be.

Would this be enough?

matthewc

Jan 18, 2010
Grimsby, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Inland (CPC-Vegreville)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
I believe a statutory declaration / affidavit from your ex saying he has no objections to your daughter immigrating to Canada with you should be sufficient. He might want to include in the declaration an explanation that there was never a formal custody agreement and that you are on good terms.