+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to proof relationship to distant cousin

Oct 3, 2023
So my study permit was refused on grounds that beyond the written letter of sponsorship, l did not provide government document to substantiate the relationship between me and the sponsor who is my cousin.

My sponsor is a distant cousin and we do not have matching last names on our birth certificates. So is right to swear an affidavit of authencity of my relationship to the sponsor.

By the way, my sponsor currently lives in the US and l live in another country.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
So my study permit was refused on grounds that beyond the written letter of sponsorship, l did not provide government document to substantiate the relationship between me and the sponsor who is my cousin.

My sponsor is a distant cousin and we do not have matching last names on our birth certificates. So is right to swear an affidavit of authencity of my relationship to the sponsor.

By the way, my sponsor currently lives in the US and l live in another country.
Even if you manage to prove the relationship, there will still be a very high chance of refusal. IRCC wants to see that either you are funding your own studies or the person funding is an immediate relative (e.g. parents or sibling). Can you change your sponsorship to an immediate relative? That is the best path forward.

Oct 3, 2023
Even if you manage to prove the relationship, there will still be a very high chance of refusal. IRCC wants to see that either you are funding your own studies or the person funding is an immediate relative (e.g. parents or sibling). Can you change your sponsorship to an immediate relative? That is the best path forward.
Thank you @scylla for the response. actually l am on graduate funding but it for the purpose of extra cash that l need a sponsor. Moreover, l can seek for sponsorship from a relative but at this point is it not a bad idea changing a sponsor as it may raise doubts about my application.