+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to obtain a job offer from Canadian employer?

BabyGund

Dec 19, 2013
Florida
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi - though I've posted here a few times, still fairly new to it all.

I am a US citizen with a Canadian boyfriend. I am trying to immigrate without having to go the family class route. Though we celebrate our one year anniversary of being together next week, we are trying not to go the marriage route...yet.

I've been employed in financial services and sports over the last few years...and have been trying to find positions in Ontario in either industry. But it is my understanding that unless the employer has an LMO or some approval to hire a foreign worker, my resume will not even be looked at?

I have my securities licenses - should I look into obtaining the equivalent CSC license for Canada to make myself more marketable? Or would continuing to pursue the CFA (I have passed Level 1) make me more marketable?

So I guess my main question is how does one get an offer of employment from a Canadian employer when the Canadian employer has to get something saying no one in Canada can do the job? And how does one best position herself to obtain an offer of employment from a Canadian employer?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
It tends to be fairly difficult to find an employer willing to go through the LMO process. And unfortunately you're in one profession (financial services) where I would say it will be extremely difficult because there are plenty of qualified Canadians for these types of roles and employers know there's very little chance of an LMO being approved. Having said that - there are people who are successful. So by all means keep trying and hopefully you'll get lucky. There's really no secret to it or trick - you just have to keep applying. The one tip I'll give you now is that I wouldn't bother applying for positions with any of Canada's big banks. They don't do LMOs unless they're hiring for very senior roles or very specialized (rare) skills.

Everyone and their mother has the CSC because it's very easy to get. Not sure how much it will help your resume. However if you're aiming for a role where you do any trading - it will be mandatory (along with the CPH - assuming that's still what it's called).

BabyGund

Dec 19, 2013
Florida
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks for the reply, Scylla.

It seems to confirm that the best way for me to immigrate quickly is through family class...or continuing to pursue the CFA (chartered financial analyst), as financial analyst is one of the 24 skilled occupations.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
BabyGund said:
continuing to pursue the CFA (chartered financial analyst), as financial analyst is one of the 24 skilled occupations.
You shouldn't be counting on the above. The FSW occupation list driven program will most likely not reopen this year. And effective January 2015, CIC has already announced that it's changing to the EOI system.

Family sponsorship is definitely your best bet.

BabyGund

Dec 19, 2013
Florida
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
But the EOI will still be driven by those 24 skilled occupations? or no? ???

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
BabyGund said:
But the EOI will still be driven by those 24 skilled occupations? or no? ???
No - there's absolutely no guarantee of that. You'll have to wait until CIC comes out with the full details to know for sure how the new program will work. In the past, occupations were added and removed from the list each year. So just because something was there last year doesn't mean it will be on the list again the next year.

BabyGund

Dec 19, 2013
Florida
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hmmm....because the press release makes it seems like the difference between FSWP and EOI is that with EOI, the employers can pick and choose the best applicants until the cap for a particular industry is reached. Instead of whoever gets their application in first. This is why I am asking how can I present myself as one of the best applicants.

I suppose we'll wait til more details are issued...hopefully sooner than later.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yes - the process will definitely be employer driven. Apart from that, it's unfortunately too early to say.

Definitely take the IELTS test (General) if you haven't already. That will certainly continue to be a requirement. So that's one way you can prepare.

BabyGund

Dec 19, 2013
Florida
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I thought the IELTS was for non-native English speakers. I'm American and English is my first language.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

BabyGund said:
I thought the IELTS was for non-native English speakers. I'm American and English is my first language.
Doesn't matter, you could be an English professor, you still have to take IELTs general for Canadian Immigration.