+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

how to get police clearance certificate of India while staying in US?

jas82

May 5, 2010
Hi

I am working from last one year on L1 b visa in US and eagerly looking forward to apply for canadian immigration....I have some queries regarding the same which r as follows:

1. As being on L1 B visa do i need to wait for one year completion stay in US before applying to Canadian immigration?

2. I stayed for 2 yrs in Netherlands also .... do i need to have police certificate from Netherlands also and a how can i obtain the same as i don't have any contact points there?

3.Can i obtain indian police clearnace certificate from Consulate General of India in US or do i need to get it done from India?

Thanks in advance.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. As long as your visa is for 1 year or more, you can apply for Canadian immigration requesting processing in the US. You do not have to have been in the US for a year. You can also apply to get processing in your country of nationality if you prefer.

2. Yes, if you were 18 or older when you were there. You need police clearances from all countries where you have stayed for 6 months or more since the age of 18. See http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/index.asp for instructions on how to obtain a police certificate.

3. See 2.

maapl

Feb 22, 2010
As you are currently in US so to get police clearance for India, you need to apply for Police Clearance Certificate at nearest Indian Consulate in US. You can read about it on the website of nearest Indian Consulate in US. It will take approx 1 month. You DO NOT have to apply for it in India.

jas82

May 5, 2010
Thanks alot for your replies.

I am planning to sent the canada immigration forms (stage 1) in july.....So please guide when should i start for police clearance certificates from all the three countries i.e.US,India & Netherlands.So that i save time away head also i have to take care so that they(all three)don't expire before time as per the conditions mentioned(should not be 3 months old).

Am i correct and please suggest.

and my L1 B visa ends by july 2012(till july 2012 i am in US).....to keep the correspondence address same do i need to consult the lawyer.....so can my address remains the same while whole processing.

please guide.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
jas82 said:
Thanks alot for your replies.

I am planning to sent the canada immigration forms (stage 1) in july.....So please guide when should i start for police clearance certificates from all the three countries i.e.US,India & Netherlands.So that i save time away head also i have to take care so that they(all three)don't expire before time as per the conditions mentioned(should not be 3 months old).

Am i correct and please suggest.

you are correct. You could apply for them now, if you submit your application in July to CIO. But, I suggest that you wait until you submit the application to CIO, because CIO will take about 2 months. Many people get their application returned because of some small mistake. You can fix it and re-submit, but if you apply for your PCCs now, it is likely they will expire, and you'll have to get new ones in the above scenario. If you apply for your PCCs at the same time you submit to CIO, the timing is good either way. Hope that is clear.

jas82

May 5, 2010
I have read that people got PCC from Indian embassy after 3 months or so because their passports were issued from India.Does it really makes a difference?

I am having passport issued from India....still Indian embassy will take 1 month or 45 days(as mentioned on Indian embassy website) or the proceess to get PCC is faster for the persons having passport issued from US.