+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to extend spouse OWP?

neo-mashiro

Jul 28, 2019
Hello, I'm currently working on a PGWP which is going to expire on 3/16/2025. Last year my wife was approved a OWP (I wrote the invitation letter for her) and she's been living with me in Canada since then. The expiry date on her OWP is 10/28/2024 though.

We are not in the EE pool yet and we probably don't have enough time to receive ITA anyway, so I'm asking my HR to apply for a closed work permit for us later this year. The HR said it's very uncommon that my wife's OWP expires before my PGWP, usually there isn't a gap between our work permits. He said he would handle the closed work permit for us but at the same time he suggested my wife to extend her OWP as well.

I'm not sure if it's possible to extend OWP or if anyone has done that before. I'm happy to go through that process and pay another $455, but what should I provide in the client information section? Last time we already explained to the visa officer that we are going to leave Canada together once our work permits expire, I wonder what I can do differently this time to get her extension request approved.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
This is not a Family Class sponsorship question since neither of you are PR/citizen of Canada.
Try the foreign worker section of the forum.

Reactions: neo-mashiro