+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to enter Canada while application is being processed?

bartjones

Champion Member
Jan 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03/08/2013
Doc's Request.
08/27/2013 and 12/20/13 and 07/24/14
AOR Received.
16/03/2013
File Transfer...
04/04/13
Med's Done....
29/01/2013 redone 13/02/14 and 25/03/14
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
2014/08/27
LANDED..........
09/09/2014
I came here with my South Korean wife in May. We applied for PR for her back in March. By the time we landed in Canada I had sponsorship approval but her PR application was still outstanding. I told the customs and immigration official in Vancouver that my wife had an outstanding application for PR and that we were returning to Canada to live permanently. I gave him the PR application file number and told him that I had already been approved to sponsor her. He asked if she had a return ticket to Korea, and I told him that yes, she had a return ticket to fly back, if necessary, within 6 months. He asked to see it. He gave us the standard speech about how, notwithstanding her PR application, she would only be given a 6 month visitor's visa at this point and that, if that expired before her PR application was approved, she would either have to leave the country or apply for an extension of her visitor's visa.

She's since applied for that extension (which can be done online), as it's pretty unlikely that her PR application will be processed before her visitor's visa expires. Once you submit your application for an extension you are given something called "implied status" which means you can remain in the country until they make a decision on your visa extension application. Citizenship and Immigration Canada tell me it takes 2-3 months to process a visa extension application.

I don't think you'll have any problems.

kkbaggio

Star Member
Apr 9, 2013
Kelowna BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Beijing
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23 May 2013
Doc's Request.
09-08-2013
AOR Received.
13 June 2013
File Transfer...
19 June 2013
Med's Done....
14 May 2013
Passport Req..
9 Aug 2013
VISA ISSUED...
7 Nov 2013
LANDED..........
23 Nov 2013
HI,

I'm trying to apply extension online, and they direct me to this page

http://www.cic.gc.ca/ctc-vac/getting-started.asp

What would you like to do in Canada?
How long are you planning to stay in Canada?

I chose move there and permanently and I have a common law partner in Canada, other questions mostly a NO, however it said Based on your answers, it appears that you are not eligible to immigrate to Canada at this time under a federal program.

I dont get it, can anyone advice please?

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
kkbaggio said:
HI,

I chose move there and permanently and I have a common law partner in Canada, other questions mostly a NO, however it said Based on your answers, it appears that you are not eligible to immigrate to Canada at this time under a federal program.

Right now, you want to stay as a visitor. Permanently is the long term goal, but you're dealing with short term with your extension. So you want to visit. For "how long" estimate the time left on your application, pad it with a few extra months for "just in case" and ask for that number of months.

stupid5

Jun 25, 2013
bartjones said:
I came here with my South Korean wife in May. We applied for PR for her back in March. By the time we landed in Canada I had sponsorship approval but her PR application was still outstanding. I told the customs and immigration official in Vancouver that my wife had an outstanding application for PR and that we were returning to Canada to live permanently. I gave him the PR application file number and told him that I had already been approved to sponsor her. He asked if she had a return ticket to Korea, and I told him that yes, she had a return ticket to fly back, if necessary, within 6 months. He asked to see it. He gave us the standard speech about how, notwithstanding her PR application, she would only be given a 6 month visitor's visa at this point and that, if that expired before her PR application was approved, she would either have to leave the country or apply for an extension of her visitor's visa.

She's since applied for that extension (which can be done online), as it's pretty unlikely that her PR application will be processed before her visitor's visa expires. Once you submit your application for an extension you are given something called "implied status" which means you can remain in the country until they make a decision on your visa extension application. Citizenship and Immigration Canada tell me it takes 2-3 months to process a visa extension application.

I don't think you'll have any problems.
Thanks for your input

Have you tried getting Visitor record when you entered Canada with her?

I assume that you live BC so it is different, but was she able to get health care and driver's license?

bartjones

Champion Member
Jan 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03/08/2013
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
16/03/2013
File Transfer...
04/04/13
Med's Done....
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
2014/08/27
LANDED..........
09/09/2014
stupid5 said:
Thanks for your input

Have you tried getting Visitor record when you entered Canada with her?

I assume that you live BC so it is different, but was she able to get health care and driver's license?
I didn't try the visitor's record when I entered. The guy just stamped her passport and gave her 6 months. I wasn't aware it was possible to request more but we also had customs issues to deal with (all of our belongings arriving later by ship) and a dog to get through inspection, so maybe he just wanted to get rid of us as we were holding up the line, lol.

Actually, we landed in Vancouver but flew on to Ontario the next day where we have been living since. Exchanging my wife's Korean license for an Ontario one was relatively easy. Health care will probably be a different matter. I'm applying for mine next week and will apply for hers too. I'm guessing we'll get mine but not hers. In any case,both of these items will depend on the province you're going to. Sorry, can't help you with what the rules are in Alberta.

kkbaggio said:
HI,

I answered those questions for her like this;

What would you like to do in Canada? I would like to remain and visit with my husband while my PR application is being processed.

Until November 2014.

We chose the November date because it's one year after her current visitor's visa expires.

I attached a cover letter for her to sign explaining that she was awaiting the outcome of a PR application (gave them the PR file number), had plenty of funds to support herself for a year (attached a bank statement showing that) and that she had a return ticket to Korea if her extension application was refused (attached a copy of the return ticket).

kkbaggio

Star Member
Apr 9, 2013
Kelowna BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Beijing
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23 May 2013
Doc's Request.
09-08-2013
AOR Received.
13 June 2013
File Transfer...
19 June 2013
Med's Done....
14 May 2013
Passport Req..
9 Aug 2013
VISA ISSUED...
7 Nov 2013
LANDED..........
23 Nov 2013
Hi there,

I dont understand as that form is like you can choose answer out of their model answers, how can you answer " I would like to remain and visit with my husband while my PR application is being processed." ?? ::)

bartjones said:
I didn't try the visitor's record when I entered. The guy just stamped her passport and gave her 6 months. I wasn't aware it was possible to request more but we also had customs issues to deal with (all of our belongings arriving later by ship) and a dog to get through inspection, so maybe he just wanted to get rid of us as we were holding up the line, lol.

Actually, we landed in Vancouver but flew on to Ontario the next day where we have been living since. Exchanging my wife's Korean license for an Ontario one was relatively easy. Health care will probably be a different matter. I'm applying for mine next week and will apply for hers too. I'm guessing we'll get mine but not hers. In any case,both of these items will depend on the province you're going to. Sorry, can't help you with what the rules are in Alberta.

I answered those questions for her like this;

What would you like to do in Canada? I would like to remain and visit with my husband while my PR application is being processed.

Until November 2014.

We chose the November date because it's one year after her current visitor's visa expires.

I attached a cover letter for her to sign explaining that she was awaiting the outcome of a PR application (gave them the PR file number), had plenty of funds to support herself for a year (attached a bank statement showing that) and that she had a return ticket to Korea if her extension application was refused (attached a copy of the return ticket).

bartjones

Champion Member
Jan 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03/08/2013
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
16/03/2013
File Transfer...
04/04/13
Med's Done....
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
2014/08/27
LANDED..........
09/09/2014
kkbaggio said:
Hi there,

I dont understand as that form is like you can choose answer out of their model answers, how can you answer " I would like to remain and visit with my husband while my PR application is being processed." ?? ::)
On page 3 of the application under "Details of Visit to Canada" Question 1, "Purpose of my visit", from the drop down menu select "Other" and then in box B type in " I would like to remain and visit with my husband while my PR application is being processed." or "continue visiting Canada with my husband". Then attach a covering letter explaining that you have an outstanding PR application, etc. and include the PR file number.

dkailey

Star Member
Jun 22, 2013
HI guys! i hav applied for my PR since august 28, 2012. its been almost a year m living without my husband. i sent my passport to NDVO in november 2012. since now they r holding my passport and no further update from them. is there any way i can visit my husband in Canada and stay with him though my PR application is under processing???? :( :( :( :( :( please reply i am breakin now, its stressing me out.

kkbaggio

Star Member
Apr 9, 2013
Kelowna BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Beijing
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23 May 2013
Doc's Request.
09-08-2013
AOR Received.
13 June 2013
File Transfer...
19 June 2013
Med's Done....
14 May 2013
Passport Req..
9 Aug 2013
VISA ISSUED...
7 Nov 2013
LANDED..........
23 Nov 2013
dkailey said:
HI guys! i hav applied for my PR since august 28, 2012. its been almost a year m living without my husband. i sent my passport to NDVO in november 2012. since now they r holding my passport and no further update from them. is there any way i can visit my husband in Canada and stay with him though my PR application is under processing???? :( :( :( :( :( please reply i am breakin now, its stressing me out.
HI there,

you just decided to send your passport to them before they asked or they actually send you a letter requesting that? If they did, you will probably get the PR within 2 to 4 months

dkailey

Star Member
Jun 22, 2013
yes of course, they asked for my PP via letter then i sent it to them. and its been 9 months since i sent my PP.

europe

Oct 5, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-02-2012
File Transfer...
16-05-2012
Med's Done....
12-01-2012 redo the medical February 05 2013
Interview........
18-10-2012 in process from that date nov 16 asking for the military booklet
Passport Req..
27-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
06-03-2013
LANDED..........
05-05-2013 thnx god is over
dkailey said:
yes of course, they asked for my PP via letter then i sent it to them. and its been 9 months since i sent my PP.
Some Offices askign for the passport early than another office, can you tell which VO you are , i know Manila askign always to send passsport early .

Adn Check on CIC web site you Vo Waiting period of time

kkbaggio

Star Member
Apr 9, 2013
Kelowna BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Beijing
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23 May 2013
Doc's Request.
09-08-2013
AOR Received.
13 June 2013
File Transfer...
19 June 2013
Med's Done....
14 May 2013
Passport Req..
9 Aug 2013
VISA ISSUED...
7 Nov 2013
LANDED..........
23 Nov 2013
If your case takes longer than they advice on the website, u can call in to check the process!

dkailey said:

ekaterina1984

Star Member
Dec 21, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Moscow
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27.05.2013. Sponsorship approved 17.06.2013
Doc's Request.
Updated forms sent on december 18 2013
Med's Request
November 25 , 2013
Med's Done....
December 18 ,2013
Interview........
no
Passport Req..
21-01-2014
VISA ISSUED...
25-02-2014
LANDED..........
Please be advised that an intention by a foreign national to become a permanent resident does not preclude him/her from becoming a temporary resident if the officer is satisfied that he/she will leave Canada by the end of the period authorized for his/her stay. The person may apply to work, study or visit in Canada before or during the processing of an application for permanent residence. However, the onus remains on the applicant for a temporary resident visa to satisfy the officer that he/she will leave Canada by the end of the period authorized for his/her stay.

Mar 8, 2013
Hello!

Sorry if this is hijacking this thread, but I think my question is along the same lines.

I am a british citizen and I am applying for an open work permit to join my partner who is studying in Vancouver. I will be sending off the OWP application this week, and the processing time is two months, so I should hear an answer by the end of November.

Whatever the answer, I intend to visit my partner for christmas. I am looking at booking flights to arrive in Canada mid December. I would very much like to know how this plan would be affected if a) I have not heard back from immigration before the proposed arrival date and b) If I am not accepted for the OWP.

In the event of b), I intend to enter the country as a visitor for around 1 month - 6 weeks, before flying home to visit family in the UK, and then return to Canada on a working holiday visa later in the year.

If any one has any experience / knowledge to share it would be very much appreciated. I dont want to book the flights for christmas and find out that my application (either denied or still in process) would restrict my access as a visitor.

Thanks in advance for your help!