+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to enter Canada while application is being processed?

stupid5

Jun 25, 2013
Hi all,

I have sponsored my wife for outside Canada.

In the meantime, she would like to visit Canada and stay with me while application is being processed.

When she enters Canada, does she have to let them know that she has submitted the application?

or just let the officer know that she's visiting her husband? would she be rejected somehow?

Please let me know if any of you had similar experience.

MadeInCanada

Oct 15, 2012
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Cairo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-12-2012
File Transfer...
23-01-2013
Med's Done....
18-10-2012
Interview........
26-05-2013
Passport Req..
27-05-2013
VISA ISSUED...
18-06-2013
LANDED..........
July 1st 2013
Gaining entry depends on the country she is from as to whether it will be easy or not. If she is from a visa exempt country then you do not have much to worry about.

She should use the application as proof to not over stay. So taking the sponsor approval to show is a wise idea.

It won't cause the application to be rejected if that is what you meant, but if she requires a TRV having a spouse in Canada will make it difficult to get. NOT impossible, there are some that have.

My husband applied for a TRV but was rejected as his ties to Canada were more than his home country, and they figured he would overstay.

Take Care
MadeInCanada

stupid5

Jun 25, 2013
MadeInCanada said:
Gaining entry depends on the country she is from as to whether it will be easy or not. If she is from a visa exempt country then you do not have much to worry about.

She should use the application as proof to not over stay. So taking the sponsor approval to show is a wise idea.

It won't cause the application to be rejected if that is what you meant, but if she requires a TRV having a spouse in Canada will make it difficult to get. NOT impossible, there are some that have.

My husband applied for a TRV but was rejected as his ties to Canada were more than his home country, and they figured he would overstay.

Take Care
MadeInCanada
Thanks for your response.

Will she need to have a return ticket ready? since she does not have a return date, it would be a lot cheaper to purchase a one way ticket.

MadeInCanada

Oct 15, 2012
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Cairo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-12-2012
File Transfer...
23-01-2013
Med's Done....
18-10-2012
Interview........
26-05-2013
Passport Req..
27-05-2013
VISA ISSUED...
18-06-2013
LANDED..........
July 1st 2013
Get an open end ticket ( think that is what it is called). It is better to show proof of her intention to leave. Or she can show a bank statement that shows enough funds to purchase a return flight.

I hope others reply as I have seen similar things on the forum.

Take Care
MadeInCanada

europe

Oct 5, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-02-2012
File Transfer...
16-05-2012
Med's Done....
12-01-2012 redo the medical February 05 2013
Interview........
18-10-2012 in process from that date nov 16 asking for the military booklet
Passport Req..
27-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
06-03-2013
LANDED..........
05-05-2013 thnx god is over
they dont have any more open tickets , you have to purchase a return ticket, and alos is better to stay here 6 months and to go back , good luck in your applications

stupid5

Jun 25, 2013
Hi all,

I took your advice and purchased a return ticket.

She will soon be entering Canada as a visitor.

Is there any tips for getting her to stay in Canada with me until we receive PR?

As well, is there a way for her to get a driver's license and health care?

I've tried to get her a car insurance with international driver's license and was asked to pay 3 or 4 times more than normal fees.

As well, she can't take advantage of health benefits that I am getting from my work since she does not have health care card.

We have been in long distance relationship for 7 years and finally got married this year. We want to avoid being separated at all cost.

Please share any tips you may have regarding this matter.

Thanks all.

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
stupid5 said:
Hi all,

I took your advice and purchased a return ticket.

She will soon be entering Canada as a visitor.

Is there any tips for getting her to stay in Canada with me until we receive PR?

As well, is there a way for her to get a driver's license and health care?

I've tried to get her a car insurance with international driver's license and was asked to pay 3 or 4 times more than normal fees.

As well, she can't take advantage of health benefits that I am getting from my work since she does not have health care card.

We have been in long distance relationship for 7 years and finally got married this year. We want to avoid being separated at all cost.

Please share any tips you may have regarding this matter.

Thanks all.
Most of your questions depend on your province. Please let us know which province you live in.

If you live in any province besides Alberta, getting healthcare is difficult. If you live in Alberta, she will need proof she's admitted for 6 months or more. Since a passport stamp is only good for six months, she will need to apply for an extension of her stay.

What country is she from? What stage are you in of the PR process? Have you already applied? <- Answering this can help us help you.

stupid5

Jun 25, 2013
amikety said:
Most of your questions depend on your province. Please let us know which province you live in.

If you live in any province besides Alberta, getting healthcare is difficult. If you live in Alberta, she will need proof she's admitted for 6 months or more. Since a passport stamp is only good for six months, she will need to apply for an extension of her stay.

What country is she from? What stage are you in of the PR process? Have you already applied? <- Answering this can help us help you.
Thanks for your quote.

Please see below information

Province I live in : Alberta
Country she's from : South Korea
Stage of PR process: SA

I hope this helps..

As for health care in Alberta, yes I am aware of the 6 months condition. However, I am not sure how she can obtain more than 6 months stay...

kkbaggio

Star Member
Apr 9, 2013
Kelowna BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Beijing
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23 May 2013
Doc's Request.
09-08-2013
AOR Received.
13 June 2013
File Transfer...
19 June 2013
Med's Done....
14 May 2013
Passport Req..
9 Aug 2013
VISA ISSUED...
7 Nov 2013
LANDED..........
23 Nov 2013
Hi,

Im being sponsored by my fiancee and sent the application form in May. I entered Canada at Vancouver airport a month ago and since they saw my return ticket is going to be in Nov and it seems too long for them, they asked me into a room and asked question even tho I have a passport that allow me to stay in Canada for up to 180 visa free. I told them I'm going to visit my fiancee and will travel to the States for family visiting, they want me to call my fiancee and make sure I did not tell lies. I had a connect flight and I missed it because of all these dramas. I'm now in Canada on a visitor status, no health care but I can drive with my international license. My fiancee's car insurance listed they covered every driver using this car as long as they own a valid license for over 10 years so I guess I'm covered. I received an email asking for my passport 2 days ago and hopefully will get my visa soon. I have checked BC's CIBC and I know I can only used my international driving license for 6 months only, I will need to take driving test by then but I can avoid getting in the graduated system which they put new driver into a *probation period* and they call it N license if they do bad things like getting ticket and drunk n drive, the probation period will extend. If you have more than 3 years driving experience you dont need to have the N license.

tips:

1.Return ticket is a must, and your wife must tell the truth she is visiting her husband and that helps.
2. try to get your wife travel insurance from her original country before she come to Canada.
3. you can extend her stay 30 days before her visitor visa expire, this is what I'm planning to do. Just need to pay $75.

Good luck!

stupid5

Jun 25, 2013
kkbaggio said:
Hi,

Im being sponsored by my fiancee and sent the application form in May. I entered Canada at Vancouver airport a month ago and since they saw my return ticket is going to be in Nov and it seems too long for them, they asked me into a room and asked question even tho I have a passport that allow me to stay in Canada for up to 180 visa free. I told them I'm going to visit my fiancee and will travel to the States for family visiting, they want me to call my fiancee and make sure I did not tell lies. I had a connect flight and I missed it because of all these dramas. I'm now in Canada on a visitor status, no health care but I can drive with my international license. My fiancee's car insurance listed they covered every driver using this car as long as they own a valid license for over 10 years so I guess I'm covered. I received an email asking for my passport 2 days ago and hopefully will get my visa soon. I have checked BC's CIBC and I know I can only used my international driving license for 6 months only, I will need to take driving test by then but I can avoid getting in the graduated system which they put new driver into a *probation period* and they call it N license if they do bad things like getting ticket and drunk n drive, the probation period will extend. If you have more than 3 years driving experience you dont need to have the N license.

tips:

1.Return ticket is a must, and your wife must tell the truth she is visiting her husband and that helps.
2. try to get your wife travel insurance from her original country before she come to Canada.
3. you can extend her stay 30 days before her visitor visa expire, this is what I'm planning to do. Just need to pay $75.

Good luck!
Wow congrats on your PPR!

Thanks for you reply it was very helpful.

The only thing is that I applied in June 2013 and I don't expect to receive PR anytime soon..Hopefully 2014 July?

Anyways looks like I don't have any options but to extend her stay for another 6 months and hope to receive PR before her extended stay expires.

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
stupid5 said:
Thanks for your quote.

Please see below information

Province I live in : Alberta
Country she's from : South Korea
Stage of PR process: SA

I hope this helps..

As for health care in Alberta, yes I am aware of the 6 months condition. However, I am not sure how she can obtain more than 6 months stay...
I'm pretty sure the exact wording is "at least" six months. If you go to the registry on the same day as landing, she should have 180 days to remain in Canada.

However, I'm pretty sure she needs a Visitor's Record in order to do either. (Let's say 95% sure.) She will have to ask for one or you will have to apply after she's in Canada.

Fastest way is to get the VR at the airport when she clears customs. If she takes copies of her PR status (I. e., sponsor approval letter) and proof of financial support (I. e., your paystubs, her bank accounts), then she has a fairly good chance to get a VR approved for the remainder of her processing times. If I were her, I would ask for a reasonable amount of time. Example - "My posted processing time is 10 months and we applied 2 months ago. I would like 10 months for 8 months left in processing and 2 months just in case our case takes longer than normal."

Make sure you are at the airport to pick her up in case they decide to talk to you. I imagine you will be - but it's very important even if you have work to go and not send someone else to get her.

The plan I stated above worked for me, except I was already in Canada for 18 months. I can't guarantee it will work for you, but it is the only way I can think of to get healthcare immediately. Once she has healthcare, you can legally add her to your benefits. If you aren't comfortable with her asking at the airport, there are other ways to get a VR. Next fastest is for you to drive to the border with her and "flagpole." That way you can be with her and YOU can ask - you being the PR/citizen. You can also mail/apply online for a VR, but it can take longer and may surpass the required amount of time she has to apply for healthcare or the license.

Don't ask for anything less than 6 months so she can get healthcare. You can go add her same day as your dependant with your marriage license, her VR, and her ID. Some registries will process right away (if the employee is at work - usually only 1 is trained to do that job) and may be able to give her a healthcare number immediately.

As far as insurance rates, I would suggest you contact a broker for advice. I haven't traded my license yet (waiting to move) so I don't know exact how it will go for me.

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
stupid5 said:
Wow congrats on your PPR!

Thanks for you reply it was very helpful.

The only thing is that I applied in June 2013 and I don't expect to receive PR anytime soon..Hopefully 2014 July?

Anyways looks like I don't have any options but to extend her stay for another 6 months and hope to receive PR before her extended stay expires.
If you get a Visitor's Record, it can be longer than 6 months. I've had two VRs for 12 months or longer.

stupid5

Jun 25, 2013
amikety said:
I'm pretty sure the exact wording is "at least" six months. If you go to the registry on the same day as landing, she should have 180 days to remain in Canada.

However, I'm pretty sure she needs a Visitor's Record in order to do either. (Let's say 95% sure.) She will have to ask for one or you will have to apply after she's in Canada.

Fastest way is to get the VR at the airport when she clears customs. If she takes copies of her PR status (I. e., sponsor approval letter) and proof of financial support (I. e., your paystubs, her bank accounts), then she has a fairly good chance to get a VR approved for the remainder of her processing times. If I were her, I would ask for a reasonable amount of time. Example - "My posted processing time is 10 months and we applied 2 months ago. I would like 10 months for 8 months left in processing and 2 months just in case our case takes longer than normal."

Make sure you are at the airport to pick her up in case they decide to talk to you. I imagine you will be - but it's very important even if you have work to go and not send someone else to get her.

The plan I stated above worked for me, except I was already in Canada for 18 months. I can't guarantee it will work for you, but it is the only way I can think of to get healthcare immediately. Once she has healthcare, you can legally add her to your benefits. If you aren't comfortable with her asking at the airport, there are other ways to get a VR. Next fastest is for you to drive to the border with her and "flagpole." That way you can be with her and YOU can ask - you being the PR/citizen. You can also mail/apply online for a VR, but it can take longer and may surpass the required amount of time she has to apply for healthcare or the license.

Don't ask for anything less than 6 months so she can get healthcare. You can go add her same day as your dependant with your marriage license, her VR, and her ID. Some registries will process right away (if the employee is at work - usually only 1 is trained to do that job) and may be able to give her a healthcare number immediately.

As far as insurance rates, I would suggest you contact a broker for advice. I haven't traded my license yet (waiting to move) so I don't know exact how it will go for me.
Thanks amikety.

a few questions..

1. Regarding VR, you mentioned "after she cleared customs". So then where does she apply for a VR?

2. People suggested to purchase a return ticket to show the officers that she has intentions to go back to Korea.. However she doesn't intend to go back as I mentioned previously. I am a little confused with how this whole thing works..

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
Can she purchase a refundable ticket? That way she can say she will leave if necessary but then you can refund the ticket.

She can either get the VR at customs or afterwards by going to the border, applying online, or mailing an extension.

stupid5

Jun 25, 2013
amikety said:
Can she purchase a refundable ticket? That way she can say she will leave if necessary but then you can refund the ticket.

She can either get the VR at customs or afterwards by going to the border, applying online, or mailing an extension.
We already bought a return ticket which is non refundable so that is okay.

I will take your advice and try to get a VR at customs.

Thanks amikety