How to change a Name on PGWP

Knada

Star Member
Nov 7, 2012
Somewhere in North America
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
HI , I have recently changed my name on my passport, i didnt have surname on passport so add a name on it. soon am going to apply for PR but facing new problem. because of old papers i don't have surname on PGWP. So please can anybody tell me how to change a name on PGWP or its not a big problem?
thanks

gladaki

Champion Member
Jul 15, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-11-2013
AOR Received.
30-12-2013
IELTS Request
submitted with application
Med's Done....
Upfront on 29th April..Updated on Ecas on 26th May
Passport Req..
11-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
17-07-2014
LANDED..........
20-07-2014
Knada said:
HI , I have recently changed my name on my passport, i didnt have surname on passport so add a name on it. soon am going to apply for PR but facing new problem. because of old papers i don't have surname on PGWP. So please can anybody tell me how to change a name on PGWP or its not a big problem?
thanks
Not to worry just apply.they have it in record

marsiangal

Feb 15, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Request
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
25-02-2013 DM....:20-06-2013 IN CANADA SINCE:...2008
LANDED..........
21-08-2013
I think you shouldn't worry about changing the name in the permit. Just apply and send the current documents you have provide an explanation on why your passport didn't have a last name before or if you have any name change documents.

When you land the current name on your identity documents will be the one the officers record.

Goodluck!

Knada

Star Member
Nov 7, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you guys, i hope it would not create a problem for me. I have already sent permit 2 times to Alberta. They sent me back without any helpul information.
thanks

reunion

Star Member
Jul 14, 2013
Visa Office......
CPP OTTAWA
App. Filed.......
17-Oct-2013
Nomination.....
15-Oct-2013
AOR Received.
22-Nov-2013
Med's Request
22-Nov-2013
Med's Done....
19-12-2013
Passport Req..
June-18-2014
LANDED..........
July-17-2014

marsiangal

Feb 15, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Request
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
LANDED..........
21-08-2013
reunion said:
You can submit the Request to Amend the Record of Landing, Confirmation of Permanent Residence or Valid Temporary Resident Documents to CIC Query Response Centre in Ottawa incase there's a mistake on your document.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/amend.asp
You can only request to amend documents if it is the immigration officer who made a mistake encoding the information in the document. (For example put in an extra letter or spelled a name wrong.)
In this case he had a different passport when he applied for it and therefore the officer simply followed what was in the identity document or submitted forms at the time. SO he can not use this form/package.

Reactions: jes_ON

reunion

Star Member
Jul 14, 2013
Visa Office......
CPP OTTAWA
App. Filed.......
17-Oct-2013
Nomination.....
15-Oct-2013
AOR Received.
22-Nov-2013
Med's Request
22-Nov-2013
Med's Done....
19-12-2013
Passport Req..
June-18-2014
LANDED..........
July-17-2014
marsiangal said:
You can only request to amend documents if it is the immigration officer who made a mistake encoding the information in the document. (For example put in an extra letter or spelled a name wrong.)
In this case he had a different passport when he applied for it and therefore the officer simply followed what was in the identity document or submitted forms at the time. SO he can not use this form/package.

Oh my bad , but he can use it if the name change is due to marriage or any legal reason?

Knada

Star Member
Nov 7, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
marsiangal said:

yeah true, i have send it there already n they sent me back with a letter , which is saying that this is not our mistake so they cant replace it.

i changed it because i dont had surname on my passport , every time i had a problem with it. so i decided to change it but now i am facing too many problems. i dont have even TRV visa on my passports so can i send a TRV on my new passport which has surname on it? and secondly would they ionclude surname on it?

marsiangal

Feb 15, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Request
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
LANDED..........
21-08-2013
I changed my last name in the middle of my application, (started using my husband's last name.)
I don't think your situation is much different, Hopefully you have a proof on why you didn't have the last name in your passport. Or some sort of name change document besides your passport? (For me my proof was my marriage certificate.)

I started by changing all of my IDs. (SIN, HEALTH CARD, Driver's license, Debit card, credit card, ALL my IDs.)

Then, I finally received my updated passport and sent the copy to CIC for them to change my profile.

I NEVER bothered changing my work permit, because the UCI number or file number would link my old name to the new name anyways.

When you apply for CEC application just send in all the documents you have with the new passport and hopefully your other stuff with already updated last name. Remember that your most important document is the passport.

And I have read somewhere in the CIC website I couldn't fine it anymore sorry, That whatever is in your Passport at the time of landing this is what the immigration officer will put in your COPR. So therfore I think you shouldn't worry much about it.

Also, Why do you need a new TRV? Are you planning to travel?
If they did not cross out the other visa on the other passport then it is still valid if it is not expired. You just have to have proof that you changed name or added a last name. Again a name change document.

Goodluck!

Knada

Star Member
Nov 7, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
marsiangal said:
I changed my last name in the middle of my application, (started using my husband's last name.)
I don't think your situation is much different, Hopefully you have a proof on why you didn't have the last name in your passport. Or some sort of name change document besides your passport? (For me my proof was my marriage certificate.)

I started by changing all of my IDs. (SIN, HEALTH CARD, Driver's license, Debit card, credit card, ALL my IDs.)

Then, I finally received my updated passport and sent the copy to CIC for them to change my profile.

I NEVER bothered changing my work permit, because the UCI number or file number would link my old name to the new name anyways.

When you apply for CEC application just send in all the documents you have with the new passport and hopefully your other stuff with already updated last name. Remember that your most important document is the passport.

And I have read somewhere in the CIC website I couldn't fine it anymore sorry, That whatever is in your Passport at the time of landing this is what the immigration officer will put in your COPR. So therfore I think you shouldn't worry much about it.

Also, Why do you need a new TRV? Are you planning to travel?
If they did not cross out the other visa on the other passport then it is still valid if it is not expired. You just have to have proof that you changed name or added a last name. Again a name change document.

Goodluck!
Thank you very much, it is such a big relief. My old TRV is expired n it was a student. Now i would like to change it to worker category. i added my surname for future problems but didnt know that i will face these problems. i hope so it will fine in future. +1 for your input.

Thanks

marsiangal

Feb 15, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Request
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
LANDED..........
21-08-2013
Your welcome! :)
Just to add, if you are not traveling anywhere until your PR comes, you do not need a valid Visa just a valid permit. Which you may already know.
Visa is only needed for travel.

Have a good one!

ss_mtl

Dec 2, 2016
Knada said:
thanks
Hi, I am in a complete similar situation as yours. May I know pleaseee that what procedure did you follow to change your name on PGWP? I have no idea how to fix this. I have searched 1000 webpages, but i couldnot find the right procedure.Pls guide. Thank you veryy much!

nshar2111

Star Member
Oct 6, 2019
Hi, I am in a complete similar situation as yours. May I know pleaseee that what procedure did you follow to change your name on PGWP? I have no idea how to fix this. I have searched 1000 webpages, but i couldnot find the right procedure.Pls guide. Thank you veryy much!
Hey! Could you please tell me what process you went through to change your name in PGWP? I am in same shoe and can't find anything online and IRCC customer care is messed up. No one picks the call ever.

Taran20

Jun 27, 2024
Hey! Could you please tell me what process you went through to change your name in PGWP? I am in same shoe and can't find anything online and IRCC customer care is messed up. No one picks the call ever.
Hello, I know it's very late now but I am in the same boat. I am not sure whether to update my name on my passport or not. Since it has been quite sometime now, can you please share what you did and do you face any issues because of the name split later on? Thanks in advance for replying.