+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to carry money to Canada?

canadiandaco

Oct 24, 2023
Hey guys,

I'd love to know the best to carry money to Canada.

I've seen people sending money to WISE and THEN opening a bank account such as Scotia/TD, but I've also seen users that have opened an online account in a bank Scotia/TD and sent money directly and activated the account in Canada. Which one is the better option? Thanks

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda
Hey guys,

I've seen people sending money to WISE and THEN opening a bank account such as Scotia/TD, but I've also seen users that have opened an online account in a bank Scotia/TD and sent money directly and activated the account in Canada. Which one is the better option? Thanks

Wise will be expensive to send out money. You need to check with your bank on the programs that have to send out large transfers.

I opened 4 different accounts when I was in India across Socita, RBC, ICICI Canada, etc. Opening a bank account from your home country is definitely better way to do it(compared to something like Wise). You can also take some cash, open an account and wire the money to yourself as well(if the amount is small ~$10k-15k).

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Wise will be expensive to send out money. You need to check with your bank on the programs that have to send out large transfers.

I opened 4 different accounts when I was in India across Socita, RBC, ICICI Canada, etc. Opening a bank account from your home country is definitely better way to do it(compared to something like Wise). You can also take some cash, open an account and wire the money to yourself as well(if the amount is small ~$10k-15k).
There is no limit, as long as the full amount is declared to the CBSA officer. Definitely the cheapest option.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hey guys,

HSBC Globalview is the best. You can pay the bills from the Canadian account instantly once it's transferred from another country.

Reactions: iSaidGoodDay

canadiandaco

Oct 24, 2023

Thanks, Do you remember what documents were necessary for you to open the account abroad?

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda
Do you remember if the bank gave you a Credit Score? Or have you started a new one? I'm asking because all rentals are asking for a Credit Score
You always start from a low credit score in Canada. Most(if not everyone) will start from 600. Which is considered poor here.

I know many people who got rentals in the nicest downtown buildings while having a poor credit score, but they had the following:
1. a job
2. a paystub
3. employer references

If you are a newcomer with no credit history, having a job and a few paystubs will help a lot. If you can manage to get a job from home country, you can spend a month or more in an Airbnb while collecting 1-2 paystubs and build some credit history.

Reactions: canadiandaco

canadiandaco

Oct 24, 2023
You always start from a low credit score in Canada. Most(if not everyone) will start from 600. Which is considered poor here.

I know many people who got rentals in the nicest downtown buildings while having a poor credit score, but they had the following:
1. a job
2. a paystub
3. employer references

If you are a newcomer with no credit history, having a job and a few paystubs will help a lot. If you can manage to get a job from home country, you can spend a month or more in an Airbnb while collecting 1-2 paystubs and build some credit history.
Thank you!