+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to Apply for Dependent Spouse Visa While Staying in Canada on Work Permit?

wanderer88

May 1, 2019
You must be in Canada and apply for PR inland to qualify for an open work permit. You cannot apply from India. SOWPs are for situations where the spouse is in Canada on a temporary work permit or international student visa - so this situation doesn't apply to you.

Yes - it's possible you may have issues getting a visitor visa. To be approved, you want to show that you have strong ties to your home country and have no plans on remaining in Canada long term.
Thanks. This is what I had thought and I guess you have given a proper answer.
But this is the biggest challenge. They mention I have to be in Canada on temporary resident visa and then apply for inland PR and SOWP. If this is the case then there should have been an exception in such cases for visitor visa :( where in we can clearly mention our intent and specify that we'll return to our home country in case of any issues and if I don't get my SOWP before my visa stay period expires

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks. This is what I had thought and I guess you have given a proper answer.
But this is the biggest challenge. They mention I have to be in Canada on temporary resident visa and then apply for inland PR and SOWP. If this is the case then there should have been an exception in such cases for visitor visa :( where in we can clearly mention our intent and specify that we'll return to our home country in case of any issues and if I don't get my SOWP before my visa stay period expires
There's no such exception for visitor visas. Again, to be approved, you'll want to show strong ties to your home country.

If you get the TRV approved and come to Canada and apply for PR (along with the OWP), you'll be able to remain in Canada until a decision in your PR application is made. There should be no reason why the OWP is refused.

dhruv_vaishnav

Jun 1, 2019
Hi Forum Members,

My wife is living in Toronto and working in Bank as Teller position which falls in C Skill Level NOC Category. Unfortunately, I couldn't apply for a spouse visa(dependent visa) because of the C Skill Level job.

But I just got the news that she appointed as "Financial Sales Representative" (Skill Level B) as Trainee for 3 months in the same Bank. After the training period, they will appoint her as "Financial Sales Representative" according to training performance.

So my question is, during the training period her job letter title is "Financial Service Representative as Trainee". Can I apply a spouse visa(dependent visa) immediately in this training duration of 3 months?

I need your urgent assistance.

Thanks in Advance.

Right now, we have the following proofs:
- We married in January 2019.
- She already completed 10 months in the job.
- She has a full-time employment letter of "Customer Service Representative" (Skill Level C).
- She has a 3-year work permit.
- She has almost 3 months salary slip.

It will be helpful if experts may be respond quick please.

Last edited: