+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How much does country of residence matter when applying for a Visitor Visa?

galaxys0

Aug 15, 2018
Hi everyone.

I live in Italy and I am an Indian citizen. I currently have a two years residence permit in Italy while working full time for the last twelve months.

I want to apply for a visitor visa so I can visit my brother who is in Canada on a study permit. He sent me a letter of invitation. But I am not sure how much weight this will have on the application.

Will holding a two-year residence permit in a European country help my application or not help it? I rent an apartment here and also can get a letter from my employer that says he's giving me vacation time to visit Canada.

My parents live in India. I am single and own nothing.

Could anyone help me out, please? I have traveled to other European countries but will this count as 'Travel history'? Because when you hold a residence permit (even temporary) in any Euro country, you can travel to all of them visa free.

kat3onah

May 13, 2019
Category........
Hi everyone.

I live in Italy and I am an Indian citizen. I currently have a two years residence permit in Italy while working full time for the last twelve months.

I want to apply for a visitor visa so I can visit my brother who is in Canada on a study permit. He sent me a letter of invitation. But I am not sure how much weight this will have on the application.
> The invitation letter can be your tie to Canada since your Brother is there.

Will holding a two-year residence permit in a European country help my application or not help it?
> I'm not really sure about this for Indians. If you search and read some repeated answers on the forum, they often suggest to apply from your home country. Example is the reply from CJay23
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/visitor-visa-multiple-entry.644052/

I don't know why they suggest that. To me it worked as an advantage. I'm a Filipino with a work permit of 2 years in Singapore. I applied for a TRV from Singapore twice and I was never rejected. So it may be a case to case basis.

I rent an apartment here and also can get a letter from my employer that says he's giving me vacation time to visit Canada.
> You really need an employment letter with your details (salary, position, joined date and approved date of leave) as proof that you have a job and you will return to your work place after your vacation.

My parents live in India. I am single and own nothing.
> This is tricky as you need convince an immigration officer that you have ties—such as a job, home, financial assets or family—that will take you back to your home country.

Could anyone help me out, please? I have traveled to other European countries but will this count as 'Travel history'? Because when you hold a residence permit (even temporary) in any Euro country, you can travel to all of them visa free.
> You need to show stamps on the pages of your passport of the countries you visited as proof. If you have none, maybe show photos and explain on the Letter Of Explanation (this is like a cover letter and not mandatory) that you don't need visas to travel to other European countries.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Will holding a two-year residence permit in a European country help my application or not help it? I rent an apartment here and also can get a letter from my employer that says he's giving me vacation time to visit Canada.
IMO, it hurts your application because your status in Italy is not permanent, and it shows a willingness to establish yourself outside your home country.
You also have a family member in Canada.
That kind of profile is more likely to indicate overstaying in Canada to seek permanent status.

They do not count because you did not apply for additional visas for those travels. Short-term travels to the US, UK, or Australia would be better.

Reactions: canuck78

galaxys0

Aug 15, 2018
IMO, it hurts your application because your status in Italy is not permanent, and it shows a willingness to establish yourself outside your home country.
You also have a family member in Canada.
That kind of profile is more likely to indicate overstaying in Canada to seek permanent status.

They do not count because you did not apply for additional visas for those travels. Short-term travels to the US, UK, or Australia would be better.
Having a family member in Canada is considered a negative for my application? Didn't knew that.. that sucks.

I do have a permanent job contract and a flat rental in my name.

I know a couple of guys who got approved for a visa in Canada and the other in the US with a temporary work permit from Italy as well. I never visited anywhere outside Italy except nearby Euro countries and my home country, so I thought I'd try Canada since my brother is there and just wanted a cool vacation after so long.

galaxys0

Aug 15, 2018
> The invitation letter can be your tie to Canada since your Brother is there.

> I'm not really sure about this for Indians. If you search and read some repeated answers on the forum, they often suggest to apply from your home country. Example is the reply from CJay23
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/visitor-visa-multiple-entry.644052/

I don't know why they suggest that. To me it worked as an advantage. I'm a Filipino with a work permit of 2 years in Singapore. I applied for a TRV from Singapore twice and I was never rejected. So it may be a case to case basis.

> You really need an employment letter with your details (salary, position, joined date and approved date of leave) as proof that you have a job and you will return to your work place after your vacation.

> This is tricky as you need convince an immigration officer that you have ties—such as a job, home, financial assets or family—that will take you back to your home country.

> You need to show stamps on the pages of your passport of the countries you visited as proof. If you have none, maybe show photos and explain on the Letter Of Explanation (this is like a cover letter and not mandatory) that you don't need visas to travel to other European countries.
What you mean by 'the invitation letter can be your tie to Canada' ? That it will be seen as negative? Then why do Universities even help students with issuing these letters for family members outside Canada?

It would be impossible for me to apply from my home country. Last I lived there was 10 years ago, I only visited a few times since.

I do have an employment letter with my details and another letter from the employer saying they will give me some vacation time.

Thanks for the help. I appreciate it.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Having a family member in Canada is considered a negative for my application? Didn't knew that.. that sucks.

I do have a permanent job contract and a flat rental in my name.

I know a couple of guys who got approved for a visa in Canada and the other in the US with a temporary work permit from Italy as well. I never visited anywhere outside Italy except nearby Euro countries and my home country, so I thought I'd try Canada since my brother is there and just wanted a cool vacation after so long.
US gives out visas easier than Canada. Your chances aren’t great. Would help if your job was a professional well paying job but no guarantees with that. The fact that you live in a 3rd country, don’t have very strong ties to Italy or to your home country, not sure how much savings you doesn’t make you a strong candidate. You can try once if you want but unfortunately your chances aren’t great. Wouldn’t try multiple times. If you want to meet your brother you could both try to visit in the US and try and try and get US visas. A visit to the US or Australia is the one thing that would improve your odds in the future or having a spouse or child remain in Italy (not possible in your case).

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
What you mean by 'the invitation letter can be your tie to Canada' ? That it will be seen as negative? Then why do Universities even help students with issuing these letters for family members outside Canada?

It would be impossible for me to apply from my home country. Last I lived there was 10 years ago, I only visited a few times since.

I do have an employment letter with my details and another letter from the employer saying they will give me some vacation time.

Thanks for the help. I appreciate it.
Invitation letters don’t mean a lot. It gives you a purpose to visit which gives people a better reason versus just general tourism.

galaxys0

Aug 15, 2018
US gives out visas easier than Canada. Your chances aren’t great. Would help if your job was a professional well paying job but no guarantees with that. The fact that you live in a 3rd country, don’t have very strong ties to Italy or to your home country, not sure how much savings you doesn’t make you a strong candidate. You can try once if you want but unfortunately your chances aren’t great. Wouldn’t try multiple times. If you want to meet your brother you could both try to visit in the US and try and try and get US visas. A visit to the US or Australia is the one thing that would improve your odds in the future or having a spouse or child remain in Italy (not possible in your case).
Thanks for your reply.

Do you know where I can find out more about the US giving visas easier than Canada? This info is surprising because of how unwelcoming for immigrants and visitors the US seems with their recent politics.

My job is as a machine operator. It translates to skill level B under the Canadian NOC and it pays me a salary of about €1,800 net a month.
I've lived in Italy for two years now. Got a flat rent in my name just a couple of months ago and savings of about €10,000. Would all this really be considered not very strong ties? How else can I improve my ties?

I also have a permanent residence card from Spain, which I got before moving to Italy for a better salary. But of course, I can't apply from there because currently, my only tie to Spain is the permanent residence card there. But just in case, would this be helpful in any way for a visa application?

And I do have my mom and dad living in India. And that also doesn't improve my chances since India is my home country?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
No website that will prove that there is harder to get a visa to Canada versus the US but there is a lot of anecdotal evidence. One of the reasons why many asylum seekers are walking across the US/Canadian border and not at legal border crossings. Most were denied Canadian TRV so got a US visa (or already had one) and the. flew into the US and headed for Canada. Of course the US is not welcoming to a few majority Muslim countries but in I’m speaking in general terms.

Based on your net monthly salary that would translate to around 50K Canadian for your yearly salary. It isn’t a high enough paying job that you may not be able to find better opportunities in Canada. No a job and a rental flat isn’t considered strong ties. It would be pretty easy to go to Canada and decide not to return. There is not much you can do to easy increase your ties. Getting citizenship will help. Increasing your travel to countries where you need a visas and are difficult to travel to will also help. Mom and dad are not considered your immediate family. Spouse and child would be. It is challenging for students and young adults to get visas to visit Canada. Would visit in another country for now. You can also consider immigrating if there are good opportunities for you in Canada. I assume there may be good opportunities in Germany but not sure if your lack of apprenticeship and of course your lack of German may be an issue.

galaxys0

Aug 15, 2018
No website that will prove that there is harder to get a visa to Canada versus the US but there is a lot of anecdotal evidence. One of the reasons why many asylum seekers are walking across the US/Canadian border and not at legal border crossings. Most were denied Canadian TRV so got a US visa (or already had one) and the. flew into the US and headed for Canada. Of course the US is not welcoming to a few majority Muslim countries but in I’m speaking in general terms.

Based on your net monthly salary that would translate to around 50K Canadian for your yearly salary. It isn’t a high enough paying job that you may not be able to find better opportunities in Canada. No a job and a rental flat isn’t considered strong ties. It would be pretty easy to go to Canada and decide not to return. There is not much you can do to easy increase your ties. Getting citizenship will help. Increasing your travel to countries where you need a visas and are difficult to travel to will also help. Mom and dad are not considered your immediate family. Spouse and child would be. It is challenging for students and young adults to get visas to visit Canada. Would visit in another country for now. You can also consider immigrating if there are good opportunities for you in Canada. I assume there may be good opportunities in Germany but not sure if your lack of apprenticeship and of course your lack of German may be an issue.
Thanks for the extensive reply, it really helps.

I will try and if I get denied, so be it.. won't try again then for a couple of years until I build up by ties.

By brother actually got a student permit from India and it was even kinda easy for him. He was out of school for a few years and still got accepted into a Uni and then a for a student permit. He didn't have strong ties.. only ties were our parents. So I believe the only reason he got accepted was that he was a student who would be paying International Student fees, right? Because so many students from India are getting student permits these days, it looks so easy.

Maybe I'd be better off applying for a student permit, LOL

Just saw the last part of your post. So you think it would be easier to immigrate to Canada (with enough skills and credentials) than to visit Canada on a visa?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks for the extensive reply, it really helps.

I will try and if I get denied, so be it.. won't try again then for a couple of years until I build up by ties.

By brother actually got a student permit from India and it was even kinda easy for him. He was out of school for a few years and still got accepted into a Uni and then a for a student permit. He didn't have strong ties.. only ties were our parents. So I believe the only reason he got accepted was that he was a student who would be paying International Student fees, right? Because so many students from India are getting student permits these days, it looks so easy.

Maybe I'd be better off applying for a student permit, LOL

Just saw the last part of your post. So you think it would be easier to immigrate to Canada (with enough skills and credentials) than to visit Canada on a visa?
Yes it is often easier to immigrate versus visit. There are significantly more expenses involved so only apply for PR if you want to immigrate. Would also check to see if there are good opportunities since you have had good opportunities in Europe. You said LOL but just in case you were considering.

Is your brother doing a masters or PhD. It is easier to get a study permit if you are doing more advanced postsecondary education especially at a good university. Your reasons for pursuing a degree must make sense based on your previous education and work history. Many applicants are focused on study gaps but it doesn’t make a difference. There are many students who are denied student permits. After the UK changed some immigration rules and cracked down in a lot of fake schools many Indian students now apply to study in Canada or Australia. Think there are 300K international students in Canada and schools definitely count on the money from the fees but there are lots of refusals. Look through the forum. Lots of examples on the forum. For a study permit you need to show you will return to your home country versus having strong ties for a TRV.

Last edited:
Reactions: galaxys0

galaxys0

Aug 15, 2018
Yes it is often easier to immigrate versus visit. There are significantly more expenses involved so only apply for PR if you want to immigrate. Would also check to see if there are good opportunities since you have had good opportunities in Europe. You said LOL but just in case you were considering.

Is your brother doing a masters or PhD. It is easier to get a study permit if you are doing more advanced postsecondary education especially at a good university. Your reasons for pursuing your degrees must make sense based on your previous education and work history. Many applicants are focused on study gaps but it doesn’t make a difference. There are many students are denied student permits. After the UK changed some immigration rules and cracked down in a lot of fake schools many Indian students now apply to study in Canada or Australia. Think there are 300K international students in Canada and schools definitely count on the money from the fees but there are lots of refusals. Look through the forum. Lots of examples on the forum. For a study permit you need to show you will return to your home country versus having strong ties for a TRV.
Thanks, that makes a lot of sense now.

Will try looking more into immigration and if it makes sense for my situation.

Really appreciate your help with your extensive answers.

john001

Jul 25, 2019
I am having the same problem. I was refused US visa in 2017 in Dublin for a conference. After then I have visited my home country and I last year 2018 I also visited Croatia, Croatian approved visa for me as I provide proof of state support and funds shows in my account. I live in Ireland, unemployed, I just married and I have kids. I have residency and will due for citizenship in almost 2 years time. I just finished a course in college, still unemployed in Ireland. Only get support from state. I can provide Irish marriage certificate and my children Irish birth certificates.

On the other hand in my home country: Ghana I have properties, over 90 cattles, investment certificates, proof of my company registration, I also have charity foundation, et l. I can provide bank account with enough funds.

Now, I am confused where to apply from, whether country of residence Ireland or home country Ghana. ? Any suggestion?

john001

Jul 25, 2019
I am having the same problem. I was refused US visa in 2017 in Dublin for a conference. After then I have visited my home country and I last year 2018 I also visited Croatia, Croatian approved visa for me as I provide proof of state support and funds shows in my account. I live in Ireland, unemployed, I just married and I have kids. I have residency and will due for citizenship in almost 2 years time. I just finished a course in college, still unemployed in Ireland. Only get support from state. I can provide Irish marriage certificate and my children Irish birth certificates.

On the other hand in my home country: Ghana I have properties, over 90 cattles, investment certificates, proof of my company registration, I also have charity foundation, et l. I can provide bank account with enough funds.

Now, I am confused where to apply from, whether country of residence Ireland or home country Ghana. ? Any suggestion?

One more thing I also visited Turkey in 2017. Meanwhile, I have visited the UK twice 2004 and 2006 and I still have proof.