+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How many days remain on visitor visa?

Triscut

Mar 19, 2015
Hi guys,
Yet another question!
My (American) partner is in Canada on a visitor visa.. He travels back and forth to the States a few days a week, so we can't just count the days from when he entered Canada.
How do we find out how many days actually remain on his visitor visa?
(when I traveled to the States I could check the I-94 online, do we have that here?)
Someone mentioned that the visitor visa actually "resets" to 6 months each time someone crosses while tHey are just visiting.. But I'm not entirely sure I buy that..?!
Any advice?

Jalex23

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-04-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
Triscut said:
My (American) partner is in Canada on a visitor visa.. He travels back and forth to the States a few days a week, so we can't just count the days from when he entered Canada.
Usually how this is count is from the very first "big trip" to date. For example many students come from different countries and travel "on vacations" back to their countries. As they are living in Canada they count all the days in their visit (including their vacations to their homecountry) as part of their stay in Canada.

Triscut said:
How do we find out how many days actually remain on his visitor visa?
Why do you need this count?

BTW do you mean under his visitor status or under his TRV? Both are different and both are counted differently. As you don't specify from which country in America he is from you have to pay attention if he needs a TRV or not.

Triscut said:
Someone mentioned that the visitor visa actually "resets" to 6 months each time someone crosses while tHey are just visiting.. But I'm not entirely sure I buy that..?!
Wrong. It resets if you travel out of Canada excluding the US.

Triscut

Mar 19, 2015
Thanks again Jalex,
He is a US citizen.
I guess he has visitor status (I just thought this was an implied visa, my apologies), no passport stamp or other paperwork.
He has been traveling back and forth for short trips (weekends, one long christmas trip) since September 2014, but now we have moved to a border town so we can live together. He travels 3 days a week to the States for work.
We understood that he could only be in Canada for six months, so planned to count how many days he has been here in total, then when close to 180, apply to extend (can we even extend if it's not an actual visa?)
Now I might be more confused than before.
Any help is greatly appreciated!

Jalex23

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-04-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
Triscut said:
Thanks again Jalex,
He is a US citizen.
I guess he has visitor status (I just thought this was an implied visa, my apologies), no passport stamp or other paperwork.
He has been traveling back and forth for short trips (weekends, one long christmas trip) since September 2014, but now we have moved to a border town so we can live together. He travels 3 days a week to the States for work.
We understood that he could only be in Canada for six months, so planned to count how many days he has been here in total, then when close to 180, apply to extend (can we even extend if it's not an actual visa?)
Now I might be more confused than before.
Any help is greatly appreciated!
OK, so he has to count since his original entry in September.... and he should be running out of status shortly.

You can't extend a visa, you can only extend a status... so yes you can extend it.

Now the tough part.... what will be your purpose for extension? "To live together" is not valid, as he is a "visitor" and "visitors" shouldn't be "living" in Canada.