+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

how long it will take to receive the acknowledgement letter

atlanta

Nov 26, 2009
Hello, I sent my citizenship application on June 23, 2009 by express mail. The canada post showed the application was received on June 27, 2009. But as of today, I still have not received the acknowledgement letter yet. Should I send a mail to or send a fax or email CIC about my application? Does anyone know the email address or fax number? Many thanks.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

atlanta said:
Hello, I sent my citizenship application on June 23, 2009 by express mail. The canada post showed the application was received on June 27, 2009. But as of today, I still have not received the acknowledgement letter yet. Should I send a mail to or send a fax or email CIC about my application? Does anyone know the email address or fax number? Many thanks.
You should receive it shortly, the processing time for acknowledgment is 5 months See: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/canada/cit-processing.asp

PMM

justbeingused

Jan 20, 2010
it took ours 7 months then it sits for another six months before it is even assigned to a immigration officer. ours will finally be asigned at the end of march.

Popoki Iti

Feb 7, 2010
I mailed my application on October 23/2008,(express mail) and my acknowledgment letter arrived mid-April 2009 (dated March 9/09.) I have my interview in two more sleeps. I think the CIC is a lot busier than the website suggests. It seems like a long time, but what I did was stop watching for any mail from them, and try to stop thinking about it. Time went quicker then! So far I am at 15 and a half months from the date my application was received.

vinadam

Feb 25, 2010
Alberta, Canada
Visa Office......
Edmonton, AB
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Here's my story:
CPC received my application: October 30, 2008
They sent me letter of acknowledment & A look at canada book : October 30, 2008
They started processing application: May 14, 2009
Application was transferred tp Edmonton office: August 31, 2009
Notice tto take the test: Sept 11, 2009
Took the test: Sept 25,2009
I couldn't find my expired passport at that time so they gave me a questionnaire to be submitted within a month. And I did found my expired passport, photocopied it and submitted it with other documents indicated on that qustionnaire.
Until now I haven't received the oath taking schedule, I called them yesterday and was told that if I haven't received the schedule by March 25, I have to call them again. They did received the questionnaire October 15, 2009. And I am pretty sure I did passed the test. I am not sure what's taking so long. All in all, it's been over 16 months from the time they've received my application...Hopefully, I won't be waiting much longer...

Mar 7, 2010
i sent my app 1st wk June 2009. i recieved the ack letter with booklet 7 months later 1st wk Jan 2010. however the ack letter was actually dated 1st wk Dec 2009. my e-cas changed to recieved status 1st wk december 2009 and went into in-process 1st wk march 2010. i hope i don't have to wait much longer for test date then oath.

atlanta said:

mike_swe

Mar 12, 2010
Hey guys,
I became Canadian PR in March 2007, and eventually moved here from Europe in 2008 permanently. I have used the citizenship/residency days calculator at CIC website, and according to that I am eligible to become/apply for citizenship 2011. As I noticed on this website, it may take up to 5-6 months to only get an acknowledgement letter or for CIC to even open your envelope. So my question to you guys (and possibly more so to an experienced immigration lawyer, if available) is if it is possible to apply a few months ahead of the actual citizenship requirement (days) have been fullfilled/completed? Thanks for your attention. Any recommendations in this regard are appreciated.

Mar 7, 2010
they did say that you must have the 1095 days "residency" when you sign your application. also, i don't think they will allow you to post date or stale date your application. to my understanding, what complicates the whole process is "residency" which does not necesarrily mean you were physically present in canada just like physical presence in canada does not automatically mean "residency". me personally, i would sit tight and apply when the calculator says I can apply.

mike_swe said:
Hey guys,
I became Canadian PR in March 2007, and eventually moved here from Europe in 2008 permanently. I have used the citizenship/residency days calculator at CIC website, and according to that I am eligible to become/apply for citizenship 2011. As I noticed on this website, it may take up to 5-6 months to only get an acknowledgement letter or for CIC to even open your envelope. So my question to you guys (and possibly more so to an experienced immigration lawyer, if available) is if it is possible to apply a few months ahead of the actual citizenship requirement (days) have been fullfilled/completed? Thanks for your attention. Any recommendations in this regard are appreciated.

mike_swe

Mar 12, 2010
iwannabecanuck said:
they did say that you must have the 1095 days "residency" when you sign your application. also, i don't think they will allow you to post date or stale date your application. to my understanding, what complicates the whole process is "residency" which does not necesarrily mean you were physically present in canada just like physical presence in canada does not automatically mean "residency". me personally, i would sit tight and apply when the calculator says I can apply.
Thanks for the response. I really appreciate it. My second question (which I guess I also could find the answer for at CIC website..if I tried looking through it thoroughly) is in regards to where we can/are eligible to send our applications to, and does the timing differ between different citizenship offices across Canada. I landed and am a resident of Toronto, Ontario....but I'm currently studying in Winnipeg, Manitoba. So my question to you guys would be if it'd be ok in my case to send the applications to the Winnipeg office or any other office which has a shorter handling time

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

mike_swe said:
Thanks for the response. I really appreciate it. My second question (which I guess I also could find the answer for at CIC website..if I tried looking through it thoroughly) is in regards to where we can/are eligible to send our applications to, and does the timing differ between different citizenship offices across Canada. I landed and am a resident of Toronto, Ontario....but I'm currently studying in Winnipeg, Manitoba. So my question to you guys would be if it'd be ok in my case to send the applications to the Winnipeg office or any other office which has a shorter handling time
1. The all go to Sydney NS. The local office is based on the residential address that you use. If you are in Winnipeg for the next 15 months, then use the Winnipeg one.

PMM

mike_swe

Mar 12, 2010
Hi again,
Thanks for the explanations and guidance on the acknowledgement part of the citizenship issue. I have another question to which I wish to have the answer confirmed. Does Canada accept multiple citizenships (that is, a third citizenship including the Canadian one)? I would appreciate your answer to this question. Thanks guys.