+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How does Express Entry count number of years for education?

IvanX

Jan 15, 2017
Canadian educational credentials get more scores for EE:
  • 15 points for a one-or two-year diploma or certificate
  • 30 points for a degree, diploma or certificate of three years or longer, or a Master’s, professional or doctoral degree

I'm a bit confused about the way they count number of year for education since I didn't find it specified anywhere.

A little bit background of me. I graduated in a double degree program for 2 universities. Basically I spent 2 years in the first university and then 2-3 years in a Canadian university. I get 2 degrees for both schools after my graduation.

Q1: I spent 2 years + 3 months studying in Canada. For time longer than 2 years but shorter than 3 years, is it counted as 2 years or 3 years?

Q2: How do they define the start and end of an education? Theoretically both of my degrees are 4 years, but I only spent more than 2 years in the university in Canada. Is it according to the first course and last course taken, or the enrolled and graduation time (for my case 2 years 3 months for former and 3 years for the second)?

I'm at the last step of submitting the application (after ITA). If it's counted as 2 years, I probably need to decline the invitation and re-apply for it...

Many thanks!
IvanX

Russo194

Star Member
Mar 31, 2020
Canadian educational credentials get more scores for EE:
  • 15 points for a one-or two-year diploma or certificate
  • 30 points for a degree, diploma or certificate of three years or longer, or a Master’s, professional or doctoral degree

I'm a bit confused about the way they count number of year for education since I didn't find it specified anywhere.

A little bit background of me. I graduated in a double degree program for 2 universities. Basically I spent 2 years in the first university and then 2-3 years in a Canadian university. I get 2 degrees for both schools after my graduation.

Q1: I spent 2 years + 3 months studying in Canada. For time longer than 2 years but shorter than 3 years, is it counted as 2 years or 3 years?

Q2: How do they define the start and end of an education? Theoretically both of my degrees are 4 years, but I only spent more than 2 years in the university in Canada. Is it according to the first course and last course taken, or the enrolled and graduation time (for my case 2 years 3 months for former and 3 years for the second)?

I'm at the last step of submitting the application (after ITA). If it's counted as 2 years, I probably need to decline the invitation and re-apply for it...

Many thanks!
IvanX
Hi,

Please advise to whom graduated from Canadian institution and earned CRS points after choosing “degree, diploma or certificate of 3 years or longer OR master’s, professional or doctoral” after atudying 2 years accelerated program, it could be Bachelors or 3 years diploma/certificate. I am also ready to hear if you know person who did like your friend et al. I am closely following related topics in this forum, this question is not answered, I hope it will help many..