+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How do I start with the Admission process to a Canadian university as an International Student?

AleenaM

Jun 1, 2021
Hello All, I am an Indian National residing in UAE and having a work experience of 6+ years. I have done my Bcom and MBA and would like to expand my knowledge in the same field I am working - Medical Administration and would love to apply to a Canadian University for the same. Can anyone brief me how do I start with the procedure. I have started sending mails to the universities and colleges which has program that I am looking for, does it start with when they reply that I am eligible to apply and then I fill in the application form and proceed?

Secondly, the fees are way too higher and I would like to know if we can get loans for international students from Canada itself , if yes, please can anybody list of the organizations or private banks that provide the same in Canada. The procedure of applying for student loan in India is quite tedious and time consuming.

Thirdly, I intent to apply for a post graduate work permit. Apart from checking the institution is in DLI, how do I know if the course has a pgwp to it or if I can get the information from the college itself. Most queries are passed onto the Admission centres at the college and they arent sure of the work permit part.

In case everything goes well, I plan to get my spouse for an open work permit as well as my 2 year old baby to Canada.

Hope someone can help me with the above query

Thanks
Aleena

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
1. Research schools and apply. Everything is online. Once approved you apply for a study permit. You should pay first year tuition and you need a minimum of $10k in funds. If bringing family, you need even more.
2. No international loans are available. You need to find loans where you live or in your home country. The government wants people attending schools who can afford it.
3. SOWP and visitor visas are not guaranteed but you can apply.

AleenaM

Jun 1, 2021
1. Research schools and apply. Everything is online. Once approved you apply for a study permit. You should pay first year tuition and you need a minimum of $10k in funds. If bringing family, you need even more.
2. No international loans are available. You need to find loans where you live or in your home country. The government wants people attending schools who can afford it.
3. SOWP and visitor visas are not guaranteed but you can apply.

Hi Naturgrl,

Thanks for the reply

Just wanted to know, can a SOWP and dependent visitor visa be applied after the student permit is approved? If yes, can they travel together to Canada along with the student applicant?

sqfit

Jan 16, 2020
Hi Naturgrl,

Thanks for the reply

Just wanted to know, can a SOWP and dependent visitor visa be applied after the student permit is approved? If yes, can they travel together to Canada along with the student applicant?
Yes they can! Applying alone does make your home ties stronger and then later under change of circumstances you can file for SOWP and trv for your baby.

AleenaM

Jun 1, 2021
Yes they can! Applying alone does make your home ties stronger and then later under change of circumstances you can file for SOWP and trv for your baby.
Hi Sqfit

Thanks for your reply.

Sorry If Im asking hell lot of questions. I want to know that example when I apply for a student visa, you meant to say is if I mention that I am applying alone for the study permit, it shows that my home ties are stronger right? In that case, can I apply for a SOWP or a dependent visa for my child once I reach Canada after say 1-3 months? is there any time frame for it?

Thanks
Aleena

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi Naturgrl,

Thanks for the reply

You have quite a few obstacles. Applying from a 3rd country is always harder than your home country. You need to prove that you will be returning to your home country after studying and that your choice of degree makes sense based on your previous education and work history. Given your job in health administration and the fact that you already have an MBA you'll need to show how a masters in health administration is necessary to lead to career progression at home. 'If you don't have the funds to support your studies or someone to support your studies it may be more difficult for your spouse and child to get approved to join you in Canada. Canada has a public health system so there are less jobs in health administration and many of the jobs are health professionals who go into management.

AleenaM

Jun 1, 2021
You have quite a few obstacles. Applying from a 3rd country is always harder than your home country. You need to prove that you will be returning to your home country after studying and that your choice of degree makes sense based on your previous education and work history. Given your job in health administration and the fact that you already have an MBA you'll need to show how a masters in health administration is necessary to lead to career progression at home. 'If you don't have the funds to support your studies or someone to support your studies it may be more difficult for your spouse and child to get approved to join you in Canada. Canada has a public health system so there are less jobs in health administration and many of the jobs are health professionals who go into management.
Hi Canuck

Thanks a lot for your response. I have work experience as a medical administrative assistant (NOC 1243 ) for past 6 years. Hence, the reason I thought that a master's in HA would help in career progression. I did think that the mentioned NOC code and above it (say like Medical Administrator) was an in-demand job in some provinces in Canada.

Thanks
Aleena

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi Naturgrl,

Thanks for the reply

Right now you need to apply all together if you want to come to Canada together. If you don’t and apply later, they also need written authorization to travel as well as their visas.