+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

how do i obtain a passport for a baby from the philippines ? im from canada

eldon

Sep 15, 2010
my wife is a philippines citizen and i am a canadian citizen. we got married, we filled out all the permanant residence documents and she was approved with the pr visa on her passport. she is able to come to canada only now we have a newborn baby born there. how and what is the fastest way to get this baby a canadian passport for travel to canada (does the baby neccessarily need the CAN citizenship certificate or can we get that in canada?). i know the baby needs a certificate of canadian citizenship at some point?, but i am told it takes months and months to get this. can the baby travel to canada from the philippines with my wife if she has her visa? what are my next steps in obtaining a canadian passport for the baby., ive searched a lot of internet stuff and cant get anywhere. i am aware of the new law about the automatic canadian citizen for the baby but the actual process is pretty confusing, lol. and also birth documents; can they just be photocopied or originals needed etc etc , what sort of photos can i use for a baby passport. do i have to go to a place where they take passport photos , lol its for a baby , id like to do this all from canada and then go there and finally reunite without any more immigration stuff. any insight would be so great ;D

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

eldon said:
my wife is a philippines citizen and i am a canadian citizen. we got married, we filled out all the permanant residence documents and she was approved with the pr visa on her passport. she is able to come to canada only now we have a newborn baby born there. how and what is the fastest way to get this baby a canadian passport for travel to canada (does the baby neccessarily need the CAN citizenship certificate or can we get that in canada?). i know the baby needs a certificate of canadian citizenship at some point?, but i am told it takes months and months to get this. can the baby travel to canada from the philippines with my wife if she has her visa? what are my next steps in obtaining a canadian passport for the baby., ive searched a lot of internet stuff and cant get anywhere. i am aware of the new law about the automatic canadian citizen for the baby but the actual process is pretty confusing, lol. and also birth documents; can they just be photocopied or originals needed etc etc , what sort of photos can i use for a baby passport. do i have to go to a place where they take passport photos , lol its for a baby , id like to do this all from canada and then go there and finally reunite without any more immigration stuff. any insight would be so great ;D
Read: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2009/ob154.asp

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You apply for the citizenship certificate for the baby at the Canadian embassy in the Philippines. You can even ask for it to be expedited based on wanting to move to Canada within the PR visa expiry date for your wife. I have heard of people getting citizenship certificates for kids that way in a month. Even though it takes longer than that, once you have applied for the citizenship certificate, the embassy will allow you to get a temporary passport for the baby.

dzowee

Aug 3, 2010
I'm Filipina and my husband is Canadian so our daughter is automatically a Canadian citizen. What we did was apply for a Limited Validity Passport for her which is valid for 2 years (we applied while her Certificate of Canadian Citizenship was still being processed - we applied in April and my husband received it last month. Yay!). We sent all the requirements to the Canadian Embassy in Manila (Consulate Section) and got her passport a month after (applied first week of August and got it September 2nd).

Let me know if you already have it or have applied for it...because I might go on and on about the requirements and you might already have the baby's passport anyway. LOL. :D

eldon

Sep 15, 2010
Thanks for the information. the process with the Limited Validity Passport was the way to go, we got that within the same period as well and now have 2 children. lol just way later response here