+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How do I apply for an open work permit once I'm married?

Ash78

Apr 13, 2010
Hi

My fiance is a skilled worker living in Vancouver and has a work permit until mid 2011. We are both from London and are getting married next month.

I'm not sure exactly how to apply for an open work permit. Could anyone help with these questions?

1. Can I travel with him to Canada and apply for one once I am there? Or is better to apply from London?

2. Is it best to apply through the website or employ a lawyer?

3. Does anyone know how long they usually take to come through?

Thank you!!

matthewc

Jan 18, 2010
Grimsby, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Inland (CPC-Vegreville)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
1. Since you're visa-exempt, you can apply for the work permit on entry into Canada, or in advance. On entry is faster if you need to leave for Canada soon after the marriage, as you won't have to wait for the embassy to reply, you'd do it all at the border when you get here. You should make sure you have all the necessary documentation with you (proof of your marriage, and your spouses work permit).

That said, if you're not leaving for a month after the marriage, getting the work permit up front gives you the confidence you're "pre approved" so won't have any problems when arriving in Canada. (It should be fine to apply on entry, but you could choose to do it in advance.)

2. No need to pay for a lawyer for a simple work permit.

3. Through London, 3/4 applications are processed in under a month:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/international/15-temp-workers.asp#europe

If you apply on entry, it's just a delay when you arrive, maybe 20 mins while they process it at immigration secondary.

Ash78

Apr 13, 2010
Thank you so much for your reply.

I spoke to a lawyer and they said they would fill in the form for $200.

We will be returning to Canada just after we get married.

So all we need are our passports, marriage certificate and his work permit?

Do we need to do anything before we get to immigration control? Print off forms? Tell someone this is what we intend to do?

You've really put my mind at ease. I just want to be able to start working asap.

obinna

May 21, 2010
l am looking for live and work in canada.how can get there with you? please kindly help.
Thanks.
Herbert.
obidollar85real@yahoo.com