+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How difficult will it be to get a job once I have my PR?

Dan284

Jun 2, 2011
Just curious about the job market and if there are any issues obtaining a job for those coming into Canada as PR. If you have a job how long did it take you to find said job and what type? Did you run into any problems? Does having a college education help?

dinmab

Star Member
Jun 17, 2009
This depends on where you want to land and which industry you want to work , type of education you have. I can share my experience. I landed on Sep 2009 (just after the recession). I was able to land a good job in my industry (SW Programmer) within 1-2 months. I had 2 years experience in india and a BS in Comp Degree.

All the best !!!

brin

Nov 24, 2007
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 17-2011
Doc's Request.
Apr 10-2011
AOR Received.
Mar 24-2011
File Transfer...
Mar 21-2011
Interview........
June-28-2011
Passport Req..
Apr-05-2011
VISA ISSUED...
July-05-2011
LANDED..........
ETA: Aug-05-2011
This is a very broad question...depends on a lot of things...ie: what field u r in...what kind of jobs ur looking for.....ur experience...the list goes on....
One thing I know is...if have good educational qualifications+ Solid work experiance and you present yourself well...then it's not difficult to find jobs...even if u r brand new in Canada..!
Unless ur a professional...then u might need to work on ur board certification.

Dan284

Jun 2, 2011
Well, I received my B.A. in Theatre with a minor in Economics. My work experience ranges from customer service to finance. While in school I made sure that I took classes in math(statistics and quantitative reasoning), marketing, economics, non-profit management and interned with companies where I could gain the experience in more than just theatre. I plan to get my MBA at the Edwards School of business in Saskatoon. Now with that information: location, education and experience, how difficult would it be for me to get job?

brin

Nov 24, 2007
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 17-2011
Doc's Request.
Apr 10-2011
AOR Received.
Mar 24-2011
File Transfer...
Mar 21-2011
Interview........
June-28-2011
Passport Req..
Apr-05-2011
VISA ISSUED...
July-05-2011
LANDED..........
ETA: Aug-05-2011
Dan284 said:
Well, I received my B.A. in Theatre with a minor in Economics. My work experience ranges from customer service to finance. While in school I made sure that I took classes in math(statistics and quantitative reasoning), marketing, economics, non-profit management and interned with companies where I could gain the experience in more than just theatre. I plan to get my MBA at the Edwards School of business in Saskatoon. Now with that information: location, education and experience, how difficult would it be for me to get job?
Boy...I'm really not sure abt Saskatoon!!! did u do some research on the job market? If u live in a city like Toronto or Vancouver then u shouldn't hv a problem getting a job..but Saskatoon less populated..hence..there might not be many job openings!

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Start by working at a convenience store and build your Canadian experience from there.

QCSunshine

Aug 25, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dan284 said:
I would think that the MBA from a Canadian institution would be a huge plus, though I don't know anything about the field or the province, so I am not speaking from any experience.

(I am, however, a theatre artist, and have an idea how hard it can be to find work in that field.)

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dan284 said:
Saskatchewan has an excellent economy, one of the strongest in Canada. Your theatre major won't do much for you but your work experience should help you a great deal.

Dan284

Jun 2, 2011
I figured my major would not be as much help but, as I stated, my experience consists of marketing, finance, administrative, managerial, and customer service. Im looking to get a job at the local bank as a teller so that I can gain some more experience within the country and then apply for my MBA.