+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How can my daughter-dependent may prove AIP status for OHIP

MyMigrate

Sep 11, 2022
My application is SCLPC, and have received my AIP letter. My AIP letter does not reference my daughter-dependent.
I have applied for and obtained OHIP.
I am unable to learn how my daughter-dependent can apply for OHIP.
ServiceOntario informed me that since she is over 18yrs old, she needs to present an AIP of her own.
ServiceOntario have told me many things, some of which conflict, and IRCC Webform is useless unless you know what to request, and so we're lost here.

TIA

2024-0718 WC for AMC

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
My application is SCLPC, and have received my AIP letter. My AIP letter does not reference my daughter-dependent.
ServiceOntario informed me that since she is over 18yrs old, she needs to present an AIP of her own.
Can only suggest that you demonstrate to Service Ontario - via public sources, like web pages and forms - that children less than 22 years can be dependants and show them a copy of your application. And that they do not issue separate AIPs for dependants.

If you have the text of the AIP, does it make any reference to dependants?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
The OHIP website states:

All applicants, including children, must have their own immigration document from IRCC to register for OHIP. However, children under 16 do not require proof of residency or identity

Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
The OHIP website states:

All applicants, including children, must have their own immigration document from IRCC to register for OHIP. However, children under 16 do not require proof of residency or identity
Unfortunately this guideline of theirs contradicts actual IRCC practice for dependants. Annoying.

If you can't get satisfaction, would suggest trying your MPP - it's absurd for OHIP to require something that IRCC doesn't issue.

MyMigrate

Sep 11, 2022
My daughter-dependent is now 25 years old, as my application was lost in the weeds for a while.

armoured: My AIP does not make reference to my daughter-dependent.

I've been working with my local M.P., to put my application back on track, but re this issue they defer since OHIP is a provincial issue.

armoured: I've been in contact with my local M.P.P but not much joy there. They repeated the ServiceOntario requirements, and recently told us to attend ServiceOntario, and request a written letter of refusal, and refer the matter to OERC.

We're afraid to attend a ServiceOntario, and at the point of refusal then request a written letter of refusal, sounds very 'Karen' to us, but could be wrong.
This OERC route might be the one, but is attending, being refused and then requesting written notice actually going to work in a very pedestrian environment like a ServiceOntario, or is there some other way to request a written refusal?

TIA

2024-0718 WC for AMC

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
My daughter-dependent is now 25 years old, as my application was lost in the weeds for a while.
Unusual so I don't know if the rest of this will come together. Clearly there were other issues and I don't know about those. So realism about whether the temporary OHIP is possible in interim needed.

: My AIP does not make reference to my daughter-dependent.
Please post the 'business part' of the AIP's text. It should refer in general to dependants.

I never got AIP but AOR should refer to dependants included in the application (in which case perhaps you could include that).

I've been working with my local M.P., to put my application back on track, but re this issue they defer since OHIP is a provincial issue.
While OHIP is a provincial issue, you COULD ask the MP to see if any form of confirmation that dependant is included in the AIP is possible. This is, after all, a gap between the two levels of government that IRCC COULD address - and these types of gaps are precisely where MPs (and MPPs) could and should try to be helpful, to notify the bureaucracies (from an authoritative position) that the gears of the federal/provincial machines are not meshing, and in a way that is harmful to their constituents.

[Granted this is somewhat idealistic - but it does take some squeaky wheels to get the MPs to apply their parliamentary/constituent service grease. Sorry for the mixed metaphors.]

: I've been in contact with my local M.P.P but not much joy there. They repeated the ServiceOntario requirements, and recently told us to attend ServiceOntario, and request a written letter of refusal, and refer the matter to OERC.

We're afraid to attend a ServiceOntario, and at the point of refusal then request a written letter of refusal, sounds very 'Karen' to us, but could be wrong.
This OERC route might be the one, but is attending, being refused and then requesting written notice actually going to work in a very pedestrian environment like a ServiceOntario, or is there some other way to request a written refusal?
This is exaclty how you should proceed. Just explain, NICELY, to the Service Ontario people that you've been advised by your MPP that you NEED the letter of refusal in order to appeal (which is what I understand the OERC is for). Just explain that you understand completely that the rules as written don't allow them to proceed, but there's a gap in the rules for dependants and what documents IRCC provides. You're not at fault, neither is the line officer at Service Ontario, so you need a written refusal to attempt to go further.

Mind, this is probably going to take some time and if everything resolved for your spousal app, you might both be PRs before it gets resolved. But you're in the right to try.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
ServiceOntario have told me many things, some of which conflict, and IRCC Webform is useless unless you know what to request, and so we're lost here.

TIA

2024-0718 WC for AMC
What happened with your application? It appears as though it was denied initially. If she is now 25 was she 21 when you included her in 2021? How did you end up overcoming concerns about your spousal sponsorship? Did you ever resubmit application? Your daughter entered on a TRV that only allows her to remain in Canada past 6 months.