+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How can Indian Driving License benefit in obtaining Canadian DL?

hilfiger21

Star Member
Oct 31, 2023
Category........
FSW
Hello everyone,

I have an Indian driving license which was issued exactly 4 years ago. I have an excellent driving track record with No traffic offences. I am planning to live in Alberta / Ontario. Currently, I am in AoR stage for my EE submission.

Pls help with below questions:

1. What are the benefits of Indian Driving License for obtaining a Canadian DL?
2. Is there any benefit in Car insurance?
3. Does more number of driving years in India result in more benefits? (For Example, Driving since 9 years versus Driving since 4 years)

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda
Hello everyone,

I have an Indian driving license which was issued exactly 4 years ago. I have an excellent driving track record with No traffic offences. I am planning to live in Alberta / Ontario. Currently, I am in AoR stage for my EE submission.

Pls help with below questions:

1. What are the benefits of Indian Driving License for obtaining a Canadian DL?
2. Is there any benefit in Car insurance?
3. Does more number of driving years in India result in more benefits? (For Example, Driving since 9 years versus Driving since 4 years)
1. As a PR, we can only use our International driving permit for 3-6 months depending upon the province. You are required to have a Canadian license after that.
2. Yes, the quotes I got for insurance on my international driving permit were in $1,000/month or more. With a Canadian license in Alberta you'll start in sub $500/mo.
3. Number of driving years doesn't matter. I think the condition was 2 years of foreign driving history to qualify for exemption from the long wait in getting the full license(graduation), after that it doesn't matter.

Ontario and Alberta (and most provinces for that context) have a very good documentation in place for us.

For Ontario, go through this: https://www.ontario.ca/page/get-g-drivers-licence-new-drivers
For Alberta, go through this: https://www.alberta.ca/get-drivers-licence