+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How are my little kids supposed to have a Photo ID already?

Jonoscc

May 13, 2014
Surrey, BC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Please Help.

I am the father and I was born in Canada.

My kids were all born in the United States.

I need to apply for their Citizenship Cert but they need Photo ID and all I have for them is birth certificates. Since when do kids have Photo ID's?

I can't apply for BC Medical until I get these certificates for them. ugh.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
HI

Jonoscc said:
Please Help.

I am the father and I was born in Canada.

My kids were all born in the United States.

I need to apply for their Citizenship Cert but they need Photo ID and all I have for them is birth certificates. Since when do kids have Photo ID's?

I can't apply for BC Medical until I get these certificates for them. ugh.
US Passports.

hana90

Jan 17, 2014
My children have had both state (MI and ME) and provincial (NB) photo ids--from DMV in states; Service New Brunswick in NB.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
My two kids were born in US. I used US passports and US passcards for photo IDs verification for canadian citizenship certificate.

Screech339

Jonoscc

May 13, 2014
Surrey, BC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks for the replies. yeah my kids are real little so I didn't see the need for US passports when they will live in Canada the rest of their lives. ugh, why is everything so dang difficult.

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Are you and your kids currently in the US or Canada? It may be hard getting them over the border with just their birth certificates and no ID.

All US citizens are required to present a US passport when entering the US. Your children are US citizens, so legally, they are supposed to have US passports. You may be able to get away with just the Canadian passport if you don't travel to the US very much and if neither you nor their other parent is a US citizen, but they may start running into problems because their Canadian passports will show their (US) birthplace and US citizenship is pretty clear.

Borders are complicated.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
eileenf said:
Are you and your kids currently in the US or Canada? It may be hard getting them over the border with just their birth certificates and no ID.

All US citizens are required to present a US passport when entering the US. Your children are US citizens, so legally, they are supposed to have US passports. You may be able to get away with just the Canadian passport if you don't travel to the US very much and if neither you nor their other parent is a US citizen, but they may start running into problems because their Canadian passports will show their (US) birthplace and US citizenship is pretty clear.

Borders are complicated.
The OP can bring the two kids into Canada with US birth certificates only. We were able to do this while waiting for US passports. Mind you this only applies to land crossing at the border only.

We applied for their US passports when they were only a few months old. There is no such thing as too young for passports.

Jonoscc

May 13, 2014
Surrey, BC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes we are all in Canada already. The border made it sound easy like all I had to do was apply for certificate of citizenship for the kids. Then I find out it ain't so easy. 10 month wait and I need photo IDs somehow by going back to states for US passports.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Jonoscc said:
Yes we are all in Canada already. The border made it sound easy like all I had to do was apply for certificate of citizenship for the kids. Then I find out it ain't so easy. 10 month wait and I need photo IDs somehow by going back to states for US passports.
Can't you go to US consulate to apply for your kids passports?

Screech339

SerenityNow

Aug 10, 2007
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can apply for the children's passports at the US Consulate.

Go to their website to get the form and instructions. You may need to make an appointment. Both parents should go to avoid more forms.

Get their photos taken according to US passport specs.

Expedited processing available for extra fee.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Both parents must show up for kids passports. They won't accept application with one parent showing up.

I have witnessed a time when the agent told the one parent that they will not accept the application until both parents are in attendance. Told the woman to come back with her husband next time. Only exception to the rule is if one of the parent is a widow.

Screech339