+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Hong Kong girl marrying a Canadian boy

Winifred

Sep 24, 2012
Hello,

I am currently holding a HKSAR passport and I am on a holiday work permits in Vancouver. My partner and I have been dating for 4.5 years and we are getting married in December!!! :D

I am not sure should I apply inland or outland because my visa is going to expire in november 2012. I would like to know is it faster to apply outside Canada?? And how long would it take?? I checked the cic website and hong kong office will take 17 months to process my application!!! Does it really take 17 months?? What is an average time to process the application? I am really worried and stressed in the same time cause I dont want to leave my partner for that long.... plus the ceremony.

Does anyone have any ideas?? Or something to share?

Wini

Fencesitter

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 13, 2012
AOR Received.
AOR2 July 25, 2012
File Transfer...
July 13, 2012
Med's Done....
Mar 1, 2012
Interview........
WAIVED!
Passport Req..
Aug 28, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Sept 24, 2012
LANDED..........
Jan 30, 2013
It really depends on you.

Outland vs Inland for the HK visa office are about the same...however, if your case is really strong and you submit a very organized application with all required documents, you should be able to get the visa within a shorter amount of time than if you were to do everything Inland.

We applied in April, and my wife is just waiting to get her passport back from HK with the visa and COPR documentation. HK received my wife's app on July 19 and sent an AOR on July 25...then the passport request came on August 28...so basically a month to approve my wife (HK only asks for the passport when they have finalized the application - i.e. approved the visa).

If I were you I would go Outland...plus you would still be able to appeal if things went pear-shaped.

FS

mobeyk

Oct 10, 2011
Picton, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-04-2012
Doc's Request.
additional docs 29-08-2012
AOR Received.
none
File Transfer...
10-07-2012
Med's Done....
15-11-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
29-08-2012
VISA ISSUED...
Oct 8 2012
LANDED..........
Nov 10 2012
You can apply directly after marriage. Submit whatever you have on evidence, photos, travel documents, correspondences, write a detailed summary of your love story and maybe future plans. My application package was 13 pounds and it was enough evidence that we got our passport request 4.5 months after applying.It seems that my wife will get her visa beginning November, so it would be less than 7 month after we applied (outland). I suggest outland application too.

Winifred

Sep 24, 2012
Thank you for the suggestion.. I am thinking outland as well.

So generally for outland it will only take less than a year??? And when u said they will hold on to your passport, how long will they hold on?

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
Hong Kong can take a long time, well over a year. It is not generally less than a year. These forum members who have gotten much faster results submitted very good applications with a lot of evidence their relationship was genuine, and also had relationships without any 'red flags'.
So going outland may be fine, and fairly quick, but only if you have a lot of evidence your relationship is genuine. If you feel you may lack enough evidence, or if your relationship is recent and so you just don't have the kinds of proof that someone like Fencesitter has, going through Hong Kong could take a long time.

zeushk

Star Member
Jun 20, 2012
Hong Kong
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Nov 10 2011
AOR Received.
Jan 11, 2012
File Transfer...
May 10, 2012
Med's Request
May 15, 2012
Passport Req..
Sept 7, 2012
LANDED..........
Jan 15, 2013
canadianwoman said:
Hong Kong can take a long time, well over a year. It is not generally less than a year. These forum members who have gotten much faster results submitted very good applications with a lot of evidence their relationship was genuine, and also had relationships without any 'red flags'.
So going outland may be fine, and fairly quick, but only if you have a lot of evidence your relationship is genuine. If you feel you may lack enough evidence, or if your relationship is recent and so you just don't have the kinds of proof that someone like Fencesitter has, going through Hong Kong could take a long time.
This is very true, in our case, we are close to one year before getting the visa. (keeping our fingers crossed) and this is because we did not do everything that was asked for in the application, such as medical report, police reports, etc. These factors weight in the period of time it took for the HK visa office to ask for these report and then we had to reply back, etc. so if you were organized, it would take alot shorter than ours.

As for the holding the passport, the documentation that came along with the request does say "20 working days to issue the visa" + mailing the passport back and forth.

LnVcanada

Sep 26, 2012
Just for reference only,as far as I know,HK's new record of this year is 5 months to get pr visa,that is quite inspiriting