+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

HIV POSITIVE STUDENT VISA, LOW CD4 and HIGH VIRAL LOAD

Swampcat69

Jul 23, 2023
i completed my medical exam a few days ago and i found out i have hiv, i just started arvs and the canada medical exam said i had a high viral load and my cd4 was about 2 (yes it was that low), what are the chances or me still getting my student visa

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
i completed my medical exam a few days ago and i found out i have hiv, i just started arvs and the canada medical exam said i had a high viral load and my cd4 was about 2 (yes it was that low), what are the chances or me still getting my student visa
Make sure you have private health insurance. I'm not keen to pay for you with my taxes..

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
Make sure you have private health insurance. I'm not keen to pay for you with my taxes..
You didn't answer the question and you probably can't. Neither can I, it will be up to the medical board to determine if the applicant is able to pay for the meds required as private insurance probably won't either, which is required by the student.

Unless you live in a province that gives health coverage to students you won't have to worry about it coming out of your taxes.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
You didn't answer the question and you probably can't. Neither can I, it will be up to the medical board to determine if the applicant is able to pay for the meds required as private insurance probably won't either, which is required by the student.

Unless you live in a province that gives health coverage to students you won't have to worry about it coming out of your taxes.
You are aware that even though healthcare falls under the province , that money comes from the Federal Government. Thus the taxes I pay help fund healthcare ACROSS the country

“The federal government provides health care funding to the provinces and territories through the Canada Health Transfer. Provinces and territories receive additional federal funding support through other fiscal transfers.“

So yes, it comes out everyone’s taxes .
And that gives taxpayers the right to say how there taxpayers dollars are spent

https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/services/canada-health-care-system.html#

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
To have a chance you usually have to have a low viral load and have stabilized on your ARVs. Once you you have your health under control whether you get a study permit based on your HIV status is partially dependent on the province you apply to, the cost of your current medications and whether you have any other medical problems. Smaller provinces and smaller communities often have the least mount of healthcare infrastructure so tend to be the least reluctant to take on international students with health needs because it will be difficult to meet the needs and be expensive. In provinces like Ontario and Quebec international students are required to pay for private health insurance. In BC you pay $75 a month to use the provincial system.