+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

HIV POSITIVE - CAN I APPLY FOR PERMANENT RESIDENCY OF CANADA

Reign

Jan 29, 2017
Good day everyone!..

I was Diagnosed HIV+ last 2015. My CD4 count is 387, Viral Load is UNDETECTED. I had my Medical Exam for Permanent Resident. The Panel Physician requested for my Medical history and i provided everything. I would like to know my chance of approval for my application. Thank you very much in advance.

KPN

Mar 17, 2017
Hello,

I am HIV positive and i want to apply for canada student visa, but i dont know they will allow me to enter in canada on student visa?, i m from india. anyone here who got student visa approval who have HIV , so i can sure that they will allow me or not. so please help me and reply me.

Thanks

Kiwit

Aug 18, 2017
Hie.. I am HIV negative and my husband is HIV positive with 750 CD4 and undetectable viral load.. I wish to apply for Canada PR. Can I apply? and what documents I have to keep ready? also what is the asset I have to showcase for the same?
Kindly suggest how do I go about.. Thanking you in advance

Shim

Apr 2, 2017
Hi i am hiv + Canadian permanent resident . And wanted to apply for citizens can it be a problem. Thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi i am hiv + Canadian permanent resident . And wanted to apply for citizens can it be a problem. Thanks
Yes - you can apply. No - it won't be a problem.

Baby Halasan

Oct 29, 2020
this is a good question. It depends which category you are applying in. As a spouse in family class all medical things can be waived (of course they will do the tests anyway). So if you are being sponsored by a spouse/common law/conjugal partner, there should be no problem. As a refugee it too will be waived. For all other classes (eg skilled worker) the excessive demand clause does apply.

This is how the government calculates whether you will be an excessive demand as has been explained to me by an immigration lawyer who specializes in hiv cases:

The annual cost per average Canadian in the health care system is about $4000-5000 (i can't remember exactly). To be admissible your estimated costs for the next 7 years would have to fall under this.

So are you inadmissible because you have HIV? Technically the answer is no. But even if you were newly infected, and stayed healthy for the next 10 years, the costs of routine checks would basically guarantee you to go over the annual average of $5000. For example, a cd4 test here costs about $240, viral load test (i can't remember but more than the cd4). Canadian doctors usually check both of these tests 3-4 times a year, plus other blood tests, plus doctors fees, medication. Most Canadians are not aware of how expensive everything is, but everything has its price tag. Moreover, if you are not healthy (eg low cd4), your immigration doctor will calculate the chances of you being hospitalized for an opertunistic infection etc... Also, i have heard that if you already started HAART this would deffinately put you above the annual average.

This goes with every disease... there is no special rules or categories for HIV. If you have diabetes type I you are basically in the same situation. It doesn't matter which country you are applying from. If you were coming from France and you had diabetes you would be inadmissible.

I hope this helps.