+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

History of immigration and citizenship status

thecalendarguy

Feb 26, 2017
Do you currently, or have you ever held immigration or citizenship status in a country or territory other than Canada (this includes your country of birth)?

As a general rule, immigration status is when a country grants you a right to work, study and/or live in the country, even if not as an immigrant. Transit, visitor or business visit visas are not a grant of immigration status.

I got the above reply from this thread: https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/question-13-on-citizenship-application.522546/page-3

My doubt is I hold a student visa from the UK which is from sept2012 to jan2014 and its now expired and its on an old passport.
Do I still mention this? If yes, how will they know because this is not on my current passport and on the Online form they dont ask you which visa you held and it was under which passport number?

@rajkamalmohanram or any star members will you be able to help please?
Thank you in advance

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Do you currently, or have you ever held immigration or citizenship status in a country or territory other than Canada (this includes your country of birth)?

As a general rule, immigration status is when a country grants you a right to work, study and/or live in the country, even if not as an immigrant. Transit, visitor or business visit visas are not a grant of immigration status.

I got the above reply from this thread: https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/question-13-on-citizenship-application.522546/page-3

My doubt is I hold a student visa from the UK which is from sept2012 to jan2014 and its now expired and its on an old passport.
Do I still mention this? If yes, how will they know because this is not on my current passport and on the Online form they dont ask you which visa you held and it was under which passport number?

Thank you in advance
Yes, please do mention it. They're asking for statuses you held throughout your life so this must be included. "How will they know" is their problem - not ours. But, it sure is our responsibility to provide all the statuses as requested.

Reactions: thecalendarguy

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth

Thank you in advance
Wish people would stop asking “ How would they know ?”
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/mandate/corporate-initiatives/biometrics/international-use.html

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_Eyes

Information is constantly being shared between countries for this exact reason . Individuals may have overstayed, been refused visas , had criminal offences involving other countries and they think that other countries won’t know or find out .
You give biometrics for a reason

quote “
The purpose of this exchange is to further strengthen identity management and to counter fraud and reduce abuse of our respective immigration programs.”

ankul

Oct 16, 2014
Visa Office......
App. Filed.......
14-11-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Hello , i am applying for citizenship online a and have a couple of questions
1) I had a student visa for Uk but the drop down does not have UK , what country should i mention ?
2) I also had a one day transit visa for russia
From July 18 to July 18 and online it’s not taking same day visa dates ,
How can i mention this transit visa ?
thank you

K8V

Jun 28, 2019
Hi I want to clarify the Citizenship application Questio: Do you currently, or have you ever held immigration or citizenship status in a country or territory other than Canada (this includes your country of birth)?

My husband and I lived and worked in Dubai, UAE since 2014. Then landed in Canada as PR on Feb 27 2020.

Since we only have to declare between the eligibility period 2018-2023, does this mean we have to declare all of our travel even just for short term visits/tourism between that period? For example we travelled to Armenia, Korea and the Philippines (our home country where we hold Citizenship in) between 2018- 2023. Then for the times that we are not travelling outside Dubai should we just specify those dates as Worker?

E.g. Feb 2018-April 2018 - Dubai, UAE - Status: Worker
Apr 1, 2018-Apr 7, 2018-Armenia Status: Other (then in the notes section type in "Tourist"
Apr 7, 2018-Nov 19, 2019- South Korea Status: Other (then in the notes section type in "Tourist"
Nov 19, 2019-Dec 20, 2019-Dubai, UAE Status: Worker
Dec 21, 2019-Dec 27, 2019-Philippines -Status: Other (then in notes type in "Visit to Home country"
Dec 27, 2019-Feb 5, 2020 -Dubai, UAE Status: Worker

Does this sound right? Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for all your help.

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Hi I want to clarify the Citizenship application Questio: Do you currently, or have you ever held immigration or citizenship status in a country or territory other than Canada (this includes your country of birth)?

My husband and I lived and worked in Dubai, UAE since 2014. Then landed in Canada as PR on Feb 27 2020.

Since we only have to declare between the eligibility period 2018-2023, does this mean we have to declare all of our travel even just for short term visits/tourism between that period? For example we travelled to Armenia, Korea and the Philippines (our home country where we hold Citizenship in) between 2018- 2023. Then for the times that we are not travelling outside Dubai should we just specify those dates as Worker?

E.g. Feb 2018-April 2018 - Dubai, UAE - Status: Worker
Apr 1, 2018-Apr 7, 2018-Armenia Status: Other (then in the notes section type in "Tourist"
Apr 7, 2018-Nov 19, 2019- South Korea Status: Other (then in the notes section type in "Tourist"
Nov 19, 2019-Dec 20, 2019-Dubai, UAE Status: Worker
Dec 21, 2019-Dec 27, 2019-Philippines -Status: Other (then in notes type in "Visit to Home country"
Dec 27, 2019-Feb 5, 2020 -Dubai, UAE Status: Worker

Does this sound right? Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for all your help.
Just sent you DM, hope you can find answers you were looking for through that

Haricad

Nov 9, 2023
1) I want to clarify the Citizenship application Question: Do you currently, or have you ever held immigration or citizenship status in a country or territory other than Canada (this includes your country of birth)?

Do we have to specify , All the status like , Visitor, Student, Worker as well , other can Canada & country of birth ?

Ex :
Feb 2011 to March 2013 ( Student in UK)
June 2013 to July 2017 ( US( H1B))
Oct 2015 -- Travelled for a week ( Caribbean island) Visitor

Note: Landed in Canada has PR July 2017 . As I was out of Canada for few months . I am eligible for citizenship now . Thank you in advance .

2)
When applying online , Do we have to upload all Stamping pages in the passport for last 5 years ?

3) Last 5 years passport will not have the UK & US Stampings , As it new one . should i upload this is optional documents ?

@rajkamalmohanram
@abbas.pasha or any Vip ,star members will you be able to help?

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
@Haricad you only need to list "meaningful" statuses, in places where you actually lived, not merely visited. Visitor status as a tourist for a few days/weeks is not needed.
List your studies in UK and your H1b visa in US, and skip that Carribean Island vacation.
2) They can sometimes ask for these afterwards, but no, its not needed. Only the bio page.
3) No need for that.

rovar473

Star Member
Feb 2, 2019
1) I want to clarify the Citizenship application Question: Do you currently, or have you ever held immigration or citizenship status in a country or territory other than Canada (this includes your country of birth)?

Do we have to specify , All the status like , Visitor, Student, Worker as well , other can Canada & country of birth ?

Ex :
Feb 2011 to March 2013 ( Student in UK)
June 2013 to July 2017 ( US( H1B))
Oct 2015 -- Travelled for a week ( Caribbean island) Visitor

Note: Landed in Canada has PR July 2017 . As I was out of Canada for few months . I am eligible for citizenship now . Thank you in advance .

2)
When applying online , Do we have to upload all Stamping pages in the passport for last 5 years ?

3) Last 5 years passport will not have the UK & US Stampings , As it new one . should i upload this is optional documents ?

@rajkamalmohanram
@abbas.pasha or any Vip ,star members will you be able to help?
Hi Haricad, did you get a response for this question? I was on US H1B. My visa was valid till 2022 Feb, however I moved to Canada in 2020 Dec. I am confused on the Status End date. Should I give End date as Feb 2022 or Dec 2020? Thanks in advance.

Haricad

Nov 9, 2023
Hi Haricad, did you get a response for this question? I was on US H1B. My visa was valid till 2022 Feb, however I moved to Canada in 2020 Dec. I am confused on the Status End date. Should I give End date as Feb 2022 or Dec 2020? Thanks in advance.
hello, Sorry for the delay in reply.
You can specify the date you landed in Canada or
The date that isin your I-797 .
Doesn’t matter I think. In my case I specified the date landed in Canada as PR.
hope this help.

rovar473

Star Member
Feb 2, 2019
hello, Sorry for the delay in reply.
You can specify the date you landed in Canada or
The date that isin your I-797 .
Doesn’t matter I think. In my case I specified the date landed in Canada as PR.
hope this help.
Perfect, thank you!