+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Here as visitor, now have LMO, can i go to border to get work permit.

wakk

Sep 28, 2011
Hi,
hoping someone can help me,
I worked for a year in Canada through the IEC, I then changed my status to a Visitor when my visa ended and stopped working. my employer applied for an LMO in order to employ me again and this has just been successful so I now have a positive LMO. Looking on the CIC website the processing times for a work visa are 81 days during which time i wouldn;t be able to work, can i travel to the US border and apply there to get a work permit? what are my chances of this being successful/what would happen if i wasn't??

Help please
Thanks
Wallace

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

wakk said:
Hi,
I worked for a year in Canada through the IEC, I then changed my status to a Visitor when my visa ended and stopped working. my employer applied for an LMO in order to employ me again and this has just been successful so I now have a positive LMO. Looking on the CIC website the processing times for a work visa are 81 days during which time i wouldn;t be able to work, can i travel to the US border and apply there to get a work permit? what are my chances of this being successful/what would happen if i wasn't??

Help please
Thanks
Wallace
You don't have a choice. You are presently a visitor. Visitor's can't apply to Vegreville for work permits. So you have to apply at Port of Entry.

kiwicat

Jun 22, 2011
You can apply at the border for a work permit. I spoke to a lawyer about this and he said it was very unlikely that someone would get rejected at the border. However, the above poster is wrong: you can apply inland to adjust your status, even if you are a visitor. From CIC's website(for some reason I'm not allowed to post links, sorry):

This application is for temporary residents who are already in Canada and wish to:

extend their stay;
change the conditions of their stay;
change their type of temporary status; or
correct problems with their status.
It is important to apply for the renewal before the expiry of your current status.

New: You now have two options available when submitting an application to change conditions or extend your stay in Canada as a worker:

Option 1

Submit your application electronically

or
Option 2

Download and read your instruction guide and your application forms
Complete, sign and date your application forms
Pay the fees
Mail your completed application to the Case Processing Centre in Vegreville, Alberta

Visitors are considered temporary residents.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

kiwicat said:
You can apply at the border for a work permit. I spoke to a lawyer about this and he said it was very unlikely that someone would get rejected at the border. However, the above poster is wrong: you can apply inland to adjust your status, even if you are a visitor. From CIC's website(for some reason I'm not allowed to post links, sorry):

This application is for temporary residents who are already in Canada and wish to:

extend their stay;
change the conditions of their stay;
change their type of temporary status; or
correct problems with their status.
It is important to apply for the renewal before the expiry of your current status.

New: You now have two options available when submitting an application to change conditions or extend your stay in Canada as a worker:

Option 1

Submit your application electronically

or
Option 2

Download and read your instruction guide and your application forms
Complete, sign and date your application forms
Pay the fees
Mail your completed application to the Case Processing Centre in Vegreville, Alberta

Visitors are considered temporary residents.
You are wrong. Visitors in Canada can't change their status to worker via Vegreville. Suggest you do some reading at www.cic.gc.ca http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/apply-who-eligible.asp#inside

Eligibility to apply from inside Canada

You can only apply for a work permit from inside Canada if:

you have a valid study or work permit, or your spouse or parents have a study or work permit
you have a work permit for one job but want to apply for a work permit for a different job
you have a temporary resident permit that is valid for six months or more or
you are in Canada because you have already applied for permanent residence from inside Canada. You will have to pass certain stages in the main application process before you can be eligible for a work permit.

wakk

Sep 28, 2011
Awesome, thanks for the replies, that was as i had read it as well, not eligble to apply from within canada so need to go to border...

Do i actually have to drive across into the states? (flagpoling??), would it be easier to go to a quieter border crossing? I'll be driving from whistler to go and do this, any advice?

I have the added problem that i have applied to change my status to a visitor but this is still being processed, so I am here under implied status, I assume i can take my reciept showing that this is still going on and my old work permit and should be ok?

I have a job offer letter, a copy of the LMO, is there anything that will make it easier?

Thank you so much for your help..

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
Basically, what you listed are the docs you need to present- your old WP, receipt for payment of application for change of status, LMO/job offer, your passport. In essence, you are exiting (complied with the temporary nature of your stay) and re entering again as a worker. You need to show your receipt so you can't be accused of overstaying.

wakk said:
Awesome, thanks for the replies, that was as i had read it as well, not eligble to apply from within canada so need to go to border...

Do i actually have to drive across into the states? (flagpoling??), would it be easier to go to a quieter border crossing? I'll be driving from whistler to go and do this, any advice?

I have the added problem that i have applied to change my status to a visitor but this is still being processed, so I am here under implied status, I assume i can take my reciept showing that this is still going on and my old work permit and should be ok?

I have a job offer letter, a copy of the LMO, is there anything that will make it easier?

Thank you so much for your help..

rajjj

Oct 12, 2010
TORONTO
Category........
Visa Office......
cpp ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-02-2013
Doc's Request.
FEE PAID ONLINE
Nomination.....
NO
AOR Received.
05- 04-2013
IELTS Request
yes
job_seeker said:
Basically, what you listed are the docs you need to present- your old WP, receipt for payment of application for change of status, LMO/job offer, your passport. In essence, you are exiting (complied with the temporary nature of your stay) and re entering again as a worker. You need to show your receipt so you can't be accused of overstaying.
HI
I GOT UR REPLIES ARE MORE INFO
PLZ
PLZ HELP ME IN THIS SITUATION
I AM ON WORK PERMIT WITH LMO MY EMPLOYER DOES NOT WANT AGAIN LMO
AND MY PR FILE IN PROCESS AT END OF LAST STAGE
BUT MY CURRENT WORK PERMIT IS GOING TO EXPIRED SOON IN NEXT 70 DAYS
WHAT SHOULD I DO
1 APPLY FOR VISITOR VISA? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
2 APPLY FOR STUDY VISA? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
3 OR FIND OTHER EMPLOYER WHICH HARD AND DIFFICULT NOW? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
4AND IF WILL GET VISITOR VISA AND AFTER THAT ON VISITOR VISA IF WILL GET NEW EMPLOYER CAN I CHANGE VISITOR TO WORK PERMIT OR NOT? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
PLZ
PLZ
PLZ
PLZ
PLZ
HELP

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
Look for a new employer now who'll apply for an A-LMO in your favour. You have enough time.

rajjj said:
HI
I GOT UR REPLIES ARE MORE INFO
PLZ
PLZ HELP ME IN THIS SITUATION
I AM ON WORK PERMIT WITH LMO MY EMPLOYER DOES NOT WANT AGAIN LMO
AND MY PR FILE IN PROCESS AT END OF LAST STAGE
BUT MY CURRENT WORK PERMIT IS GOING TO EXPIRED SOON IN NEXT 70 DAYS
WHAT SHOULD I DO
1 APPLY FOR VISITOR VISA? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
2 APPLY FOR STUDY VISA? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
3 OR FIND OTHER EMPLOYER WHICH HARD AND DIFFICULT NOW? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
4AND IF WILL GET VISITOR VISA AND AFTER THAT ON VISITOR VISA IF WILL GET NEW EMPLOYER CAN I CHANGE VISITOR TO WORK PERMIT OR NOT? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
PLZ
PLZ
PLZ
PLZ
PLZ
HELP

rajjj

Oct 12, 2010
TORONTO
Category........
Visa Office......
cpp ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-02-2013
Doc's Request.
FEE PAID ONLINE
Nomination.....
NO
AOR Received.
05- 04-2013
IELTS Request
yes
job_seeker said:
Look for a new employer now who'll apply for an A-LMO in your favour. You have enough time.
hi bro thanks reply
i am trying to find any employer but it seem very hard here .
sio if i will not find any employer in next two what should i can do
can i apply for vistor visa? and if i will get it and during as vistor status is it possibly to find employer to get lmo and work permit /
plz plz plz plz plz advise

linducis

Sep 10, 2012
did you get your work permit?

wakk said:
Hi,

Help please
Thanks
Wallace

SpiderBiff

Sep 30, 2012
Hi Wallace,

I am in a similar situation to you, except I don't have a job offer and LMO. I supposed to have an interview with a company that is interested in hiring me but the employer messed up the LMO application so it has been postponed.

My IEC work permit expired last week and I am hoping to stay in Canada while I am waiting for my interview. I applied to stay as a visitor so apparently I am now under "Implied Status". Does this mean I can continue to work until my visitor visa is processed? Hopefully, by that time I will have a job offer and LMO ready.

Any answers appreciated. Thank you, in advance.

Rich

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
You cannot work as a visitor. It is called visitor for a reason and will say you are NOT allowed to work on the permit. To do so is working illegally. If your permit ended last week, you cannot work again until you have a new work permit.

basstuk

Star Member
Jan 27, 2014
Hello everyone,

My status is as a worker with LMIA and my wife as a visitor. Do we need to go to the border to get her open work permit? or it is possible to get online or in Edmonton/Calgary?

Thank you very much,

eimalicious

May 20, 2016
Hello Guys Good Day to all :)
I have a question please help,I'm on a visitors visa right now and I found an employer can able to provide a work permit.I believe that I need to exit in US border to change my status but I don't have a US visa.How could this be possible.Don't wanna take the risk going back to my home country.Is there anywhere else I can go within Canada and without Visa required..