+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help with eligibility for PR

ThadJarvis

Aug 23, 2013
Hi all,

Great site, great resource and I look forward to perusing some of the other sections of the forum too. In the meantime though, I was wondering if I could bounce a couple of thoughts off you as the CIC website is at times a little confusing and I am seeking to understand where I stand in relation to my chances of becoming a permanent resident, and which visa I might choose to apply for.

- I'm 28, Male, from Australia
- Have been living in Canada for 2 months on an IEC temporary visa (ends next year)
- Have a Canadian citizen girlfriend (common-law partner) who I have lived with in Australia and NZ
- We have kept a lot of information pertaining to living together
- Line of work is professional (non-degree) but not listed as a special skill under the skilled migrant visas
- Girlfriend is a student and part time worker, fairly low income
- Province is AB
- I have plenty of money to support myself and the ability to get work, it's just the visa side of things I'm concerned about

I wish to apply for a permanent residency before my IEC expires, so I can continue to be with my girlfriend in Canada and am wondering the best channel to go through and what is possible and what isn't.

Appreciate your assistance.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you have a common law partner (lived together more than 12 months and can prove it), your best shot at a fast PR is sponsorship. She doesn't have to make a bunch of money to sponsor you. You are making money too and you are not on welfare so no problem.

Your backup would be doing a skilled job for at least a year full time and then applying for PR under Canadian experience class.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Agree with Leon.

I'll add that the 12 months for common-law must be continuous. If there are breaks in between, for example you were apart for a month while waiting for your IEC, the VO might see that as breaks in the 1 year and decide you aren't common-law.

If you were together the whole time and, like Leon said, can prove it, then you are fine to apply as soon as possible. If you can get your app together within a few months, given Sydney's quick processing time, you would probably have PR before your IEC finishes.

ThadJarvis

Aug 23, 2013
Thanks so much for the responses.

We have been travelling a lot but have been 'residing' together since Dec 2011 with the exception of 8 weeks earlier this year. We were together for 17 months before we spent that 8 weeks apart. The longest we have remained at one residence however is about 8 months. The remainder has either been travelling or staying with parents. We have extensive proof of living together but it is not a 'normal' situation. I am therefore hoping it will qualify but am not 110% sure.

Regarding the working for one year then going CEC, the problem is my visa expires in less than a year. How would I get around that if my Plan A doesn't come to fruition?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
ThadJarvis said:
Thanks so much for the responses.

We have been travelling a lot but have been 'residing' together since Dec 2011 with the exception of 8 weeks earlier this year. We were together for 17 months before we spent that 8 weeks apart. The longest we have remained at one residence however is about 8 months. The remainder has either been travelling or staying with parents. We have extensive proof of living together but it is not a 'normal' situation. I am therefore hoping it will qualify but am not 110% sure.

Regarding the working for one year then going CEC, the problem is my visa expires in less than a year. How would I get around that if my Plan A doesn't come to fruition?
My partner and I met in NZ, travelled, spent 3 months apart, lived together in NZ, stayed with my parents, did some more travelling, stayed with his parents, lived together in the UK. It's fine :). You don't have to have been at the same residence for the 1 year, just together the whole time. Travelling together and living together with your parents counts as well.

I suggest you get everything together and apply as soon as possible. Not really a need for a Plan B, you should have no problems being approved.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ThadJarvis said:
As an Australian, you should be able to get 2 years, see https://www.whpcanada.org.au/

As a backup plan, you would have to find an employer who wants to keep you. You can look into the PNP in your province and what they would require for your employer to sponsor you.