+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help with a friend coming to Canada for a Visit from The U.S.

NEVER-GIVE-UP

Nov 18, 2014
We have a friend of ours who overstayed in Canada from the U.S. for ten years, She went back to the U.S. after suffering a stroke here.
We are trying to set up a payment plan with the hospital but they are giving us a hard time about them not wanting to make any payment plan.
There were no red flags on her
Its been 14 months since she left Canada
She tried to come through the border recently and could only stay one day
C.B.S.A. wants her to get a medical before trying to return.
C.B.S.A. gave her paperwork for an Immigration Doctor that she needs to see.
She does have medical insurance for existing but will now get it for pre-existing as well
My Question is :
When we get the medical done and she is ok to come back , will they still stop her from entering Canada if the Hospital bill is still owing? Even though we have paperwork stating they will not accept a payment plan?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I think your situation is so unique that I doubt anyone here will be able to offer any concrete advice.

The only advice I can offer is to wait at least a few weeks (3?) after the medical is done before heading for the border. It will take time for CIC to process the results.

When she returns to Canada, she should make sure she can show plenty of evidence that she's a genuine visitor (has a return ticket, sufficient funds to pay for her visit, has insurance) and that she has strong ties to the US (property ownership / rental, job, utility bills, etc.). Given the 10 year overstay, CIC will want to see she's really visiting and has no plans to abuse these priviledges again.

She's lucky Canada has such lax policies with regards to overstays. If a Canadian had done the same thing in the US, they would now have an automatic 10 year ban from re-entering the US.