+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

HELP: Valid study permit but I have completed my study: Can I still re-enter?

zdniel

Apr 26, 2014
I've been meaning to return to Canada for some time, but I'm not sure if I can just with the documents I have (i.e. visa & study permit) given that I graduated last summer. I still have valid visa and study permit till Aug 2015. So technically, I should be able to do so right? Do I necessarily have to avoid answering questions like: 1) Where do you study? 2) What do you study? -- at the border?

I read that there is new set of rules effective June 2014 that would invalidate study permits 90 days after graduation. But it also says that study permits issued before that are not subject to that new rule. So can I still re-enter Canada with my "technically" valid study permit but without actually being enrolled in any program of study?

I don't know if this could help my case at the border: I still have my stuff left over in Canada. When I graduated, I had been accepted to further study in US, and so I tried to drive to US with all my stuff. But US border disallowed my stuff to go through just yet because at the time my I-20 was not active till another 2 months. So I had to drive back to Toronto and left them at my relative's for temporary safekeeping.

J5M

Champion Member
May 15, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

zdniel said:
I've been meaning to return to Canada for some time, but I'm not sure if I can just with the documents I have (i.e. visa & study permit) given that I graduated last summer. I still have valid visa and study permit till Aug 2015. So technically, I should be able to do so right? Do I necessarily have to avoid answering questions like: 1) Where do you study? 2) What do you study? -- at the border?

I read that there is new set of rules effective June 2014 that would invalidate study permits 90 days after graduation. But it also says that study permits issued before that are not subject to that new rule. So can I still re-enter Canada with my "technically" valid study permit but without actually being enrolled in any program of study?

I don't know if this could help my case at the border: I still have my stuff left over in Canada. When I graduated, I had been accepted to further study in US, and so I tried to drive to US with all my stuff. But US border disallowed my stuff to go through just yet because at the time my I-20 was not active till another 2 months. So I had to drive back to Toronto and left them at my relative's for temporary safekeeping.

New rules: It's nowhere stated that SP issued before June 14th are not subject to 90 days rules. It continues to apply to everyone.

2014dell

May 29, 2014
U are trying to enter the country with a study permit, but you are not enrolled, which is a red flag. Cic recommends that u enter on a visitor visa instead.
Worst case scenario: cbsa will find u to not be a genuine student and refuse u entry.
Keep us updated, though.

zdniel said: