+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help: Should I talk to prospective employer about BC PNP

karanraja

Jul 15, 2014
Hi all

I was recently called for a second interview for a high skilled position. After the interview the employer was asking me if I was interested in staying in Canada and I responded yes. But since my PGWP is only for 1 year, it was not possible to apply through CEC. I then responded that they could ask for a work visa for a person on PGWP, but that CIC had changed the rules and even in that case the employer had to go through an LMO. I was told that they would make their decision in a week. I sent a follow up mail during that week and was told that they would decide by the mid of next week. Now Im not sure if I should discuss the option of BC PNP . Cause I dont want to be rejected from this job cause of my status in Canada. Also the first interview was a HR which went well and the second was a hands on-technical and i believe they were happy. Please provide suggestions as to what can be done.

ragluf

Champion Member
Feb 15, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
karanraja said:
Hi all

I was recently called for a second interview for a high skilled position. After the interview the employer was asking me if I was interested in staying in Canada and I responded yes. But since my PGWP is only for 1 year, it was not possible to apply through CEC. I then responded that they could ask for a work visa for a person on PGWP, but that CIC had changed the rules and even in that case the employer had to go through an LMO. I was told that they would make their decision in a week. I sent a follow up mail during that week and was told that they would decide by the mid of next week. Now Im not sure if I should discuss the option of BC PNP . Cause I dont want to be rejected from this job cause of my status in Canada. Also the first interview was a HR which went well and the second was a hands on-technical and i believe they were happy. Please provide suggestions as to what can be done.
On just what you mentioned here - the employer already explored the interest of you staying in Canada, which opens up possibilities and ways to keep you in the country. Notwithstanding the offer of the job, as this has to be settled first. If your status is hindering this, go ahead, and discuss the alternative of getting residency by them supporting you via the BC PNP route. Most employers are hesitant in extending a job offer for a permanent position to those with temp status, or unsettled status in the country, and it does good to explore and help the employer explore options, if they are really keen on you joining them for the long term.

The LMO/LMIA/WP route has been unfortunately, "tainted" with all the recent brouhaha and publicity around it, and some employers do not want that option immediately or are very averse to the mention of it. Your employer may be much more receptive to the alternative of BC PNP - you have nothing to lose by opening this discussion.

.../atb

karanraja

Jul 15, 2014
thank you so much ragluf...,appreciate the help
ragluf said:
On just what you mentioned here - the employer already explored the interest of you staying in Canada, which opens up possibilities and ways to keep you in the country. Notwithstanding the offer of the job, as this has to be settled first. If your status is hindering this, go ahead, and discuss the alternative of getting residency by them supporting you via the BC PNP route. Most employers are hesitant in extending a job offer for a permanent position to those with temp status, or unsettled status in the country, and it does good to explore and help the employer explore options, if they are really keen on you joining them for the long term.

The LMO/LMIA/WP route has been unfortunately, "tainted" with all the recent brouhaha and publicity around it, and some employers do not want that option immediately or are very averse to the mention of it. Your employer may be much more receptive to the alternative of BC PNP - you have nothing to lose by opening this discussion.

.../atb