+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

HELP: Should I include my freelancer experience?

Jonathan.vr

Feb 15, 2020
Disclaimer: This is just my opinion from my experience from the animation industry. It may be biased. It may be different depending on one's graphic design skills and other circumstances.

Getting graphic design jobs in Canada may get easier if you have a college experience in Canada. First of all, you will have a lot of chances to make connections with people already in the industry. Not only that, your classmates can be your connection in the future. Secondly, you can get more information by actually living in Canada, and talk with people face by face. I learned a lot about studio cultures, reputation by talking with people in real life. Online is a useful resource too, but I feel there is still some limitation. Lastly, depending on colleges, college itself can be valuable sources. Many colleges have career centres and depend on how you use them, it will help you get into the industry.

But it does require a lot of money to afford intuition(+rent, food etc...) as they ask a lot of money to international students. :( If you are not able to provide to do another education in Canada, you could try sending out portfolios and resumes directly to studios. Or you could try to go to International or Canadian job fairs too. (This would also require some money too tho)

Additionally, when animation studios need people for their projects, sometimes they don't even bother to put out ads. A lot of them ask workers if they can recommend anyone who is fitting for that job. Many studios also want to hire a person who resides already in local because of tax benefits. You could appeal that you can move to that place, but some of the studios didn't give me interview chances even though I was in Canada but a different province. And my friend had a similar experience too.

So overall... either you decide to go to a Canadian college or not, exposing yourself to recruiters is a crucial key. If you try to appeal yourself to studios with a good portfolio and resumes, you will likely have more chances. Try going to studios websites and check out if they are recruiting, and directly send them your portfolios and resumes. Also check Linkedin, Indeed and Animatedjobs.com too.
Thank you!

Yes that would be the plan, enroll in a Canadian college to a graphic design related specialization/program and hopefully get a job in the field.

Just an additional question, I just read in another forum that when applying to CEC your work experience can be in any type-level 0, A, B, C. Do you know if that's true? Or does it have to be related to my studies field?

Last edited:

wherethestorystarts

Star Member
Feb 11, 2020
Thank you!

Yes that would be the plan, enroll in a Canadian college to a graphic design related specialization/program and hopefully get a job in the field.

Just an additional question, I just read in another forum that when applying to CEC your work experience can be in any type-level 0, A, B, C. Do you know if that's true? Or does it have to be related to my studies field?
You're welcome

And for that question... Sorry, I don't know much about it as my study field and work field are the same.
I only know that you have to be in the same NOC for at least a year if you want to use a work experience score...? I have a friend who had trouble because his 8month work experience and other 4month work experience had different NOC, but not sure the study field and the work field should be the same. (Somebody Please correct me if I'm wrong) Maybe someone else can give you a correct answer.

I wish you luck!