+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help! send passport from USA to Ottawa and prepare return label/envelope

lie2me

Jun 27, 2015
Hi everyone,

I'm applying PR in USA and just got Ottawa's email requring the passport.
In the email they didn't explain clearly how to send passport and how the passport will return if the applicant is in USA.

I read several previous posts about this matter. Some mentioned one should included a prepaid shipping label to the mail to Ottawa.

But,
1. I'm still not sure that refers to a prepaid Fedex/UPS label or a Canadian Post label?

2. I tried to creat a prepaid Canadian Post label online but it didn't go through.
I signed up for the Canadian Psot website First it seems you can only creat labels to USA if you are a business customer, not an individual (personal) customer.
Then I proceed to the page EST online as instructed. I clicked shipping - USA, then it jumps to a page with something running but it can not proceed anymore. I tried chrome, IE and a few other browsers; they're all the same.

I heard prepaid Fedex label works but I can't confirm it.

I appreciate if someone who have actually done this could clarify it.

nishant322

Star Member
Jan 9, 2015
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-11-2014
Doc's Request.
CC Charged : Jan 10
Nomination.....
PER : 2nd Feb
AOR Received.
No AOR
Med's Request
08-05-2015
Med's Done....
Meds Received 22-05-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
12-06-2015
VISA ISSUED...
24-06-2015
You have to create a business account. Here is what I followed :

If someone finds difficult to create shipping lable online from USA/international then below steps would be good start.

go to https://www.canadapost.ca/personal/tools/cst/intro-e.asp
Click on EST Online
Click on " go to EST online now"
Click on " Sign up now" & create your profile.

You will receive automated email "Welcome to Canada Post"

sign out & close the browser.Sign in again, & click on my profile under your user name. ( i had to do this to see options listed in below line. May not be necessary for you)
You will see labels at top " Online Business Center | Electronic Shipping Tool | Manage Returns | Business Reply Mail"

Click on online business center, this will take u to next page where you click on " get started"
this will redirect to another webpage. select "Electronic Shipping Tools"

Select online version of "Shipping - USA"
you will see Shipped By XXXXXX( your customer number) Put that same in paid by as well. Update sender & recipient details( by clicking CHANGE) & all other details.

I found 2 economical +reliable options with tracking facility 1. expidited parcel USA with ~6 days delivery (cad 18.57) + insurance & trackpack USA ( 15.69CAD) with 10-11 b days delivery.
Select your preferred one & you will be able to print out the shipping label.

Do not hesitate to call their customer support phone at 1-866-511-0546. ( press 1 for English & then 2 for online technical assistance). They will patiently take you through the process.

Hope this helps..

Another One :

Here you go - I just printed mine !!

1) click on http://www.canadapost.ca/personal/tools/cst/intro-e.asp
2) Select shipping destination - to the U.S.A
3) Ship From - CIC Ottawa address, To - Your address
4) Customs Info - Enter Reason As "Documents" -> Description as
"Passports", Unit Weight - 1, Unit Value - 100,
County of Origin - Canada, Quantity - 3
(I am assuming that is your family count)
5) Describe Item -> Weight - 3 Kgs,
Dimensions - 36*28*0.1 cms
6) Service - Xpresspost USA
7) Payment - Mention the CC details.
For the Billing address - just change
the first 2 lines of the address and make it to your billing address

lie2me

Jun 27, 2015
Thanks a lot nishant322!
I signed up and logged in the website. I didn't see the option " Online Business Center | Electronic Shipping Tool | Manage Returns | Business Reply Mail".
Then I googled Online Business Center Canadian Post. The browser directed me to Online Business Center.

And the I see the following on my screen.

"Your user profile does not permit you to access this tool. Please call the Canada Post Technical Helpdesk at 866-511-0546 for more information."

I think I will go FedEx as I heard Ottawa said FedEx is also fine these days.

lie2me

Jun 27, 2015
The problem seems because I don't have a Canada Post customer number and a contract number to use that service.
Did you fill out a Canadian credit card info before the 1st time use.

Guptavv

Oct 15, 2017
NA
Category........
Other
App. Filed.......
21-07-2017
Doc's Request.
13-10-2017
AOR Received.
06-11-2017
IELTS Request
10-07-2017
Med's Request
25-10-2017
Passport Req..
04-12-2017
VISA ISSUED...
10-01-2018
LANDED..........
04-06-2018
I just sent the FedEx return lable to Canada along with my passport for them to ship it back
The tricky part is to create a return lable by FedEx as I spent 2 hrs in FedEx Centre to figure out how it can be done.
The process becomes complicated a when you select FROM address of Canada it doesn’t allow you pay by a US credit card, seems wired but I had this checked at 2 stores and numerous FedEx employees it is restriction in there systems.
So hence a work around ,create a FedEx online account and add your credit card to this account. Now go to any fedex store and on their self help computer login to your Account and create a return shipping lable with custom value of 1$, you can select any shipping method from express to ground, now use your Account as a mode of payment it allows you to. Willa!! It allows a US credit card that seems a little weird but seems to hack in their systems, now print this lable for free from there and add it with your documents and do a normal shipping to Canada

Hope this helps as it took me sometime to figure is out so thought might help someone

vishal786543

Feb 26, 2018
I am not able to create label without Phone Number of CPCO - Ottawa, don't know what to do, else I know the process, Fedex and UPS both denied me service without the phone number, let me know how can I crack this ..