+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help: previous employer refuse to give a reference letter

cayla

Dec 16, 2015
First, Happy Holiday to all of you.

I got a ITA on Dec.21, however, my previous manager refused to give me a reference letter, written in email very clearly. And the company is not very big, have 5-6 staff, if the manager said so, there is no one would sign the letter for me.

Now, what I can do? I have listed some alternative documentary I can provide:

1. the refused email from the manager, the manger's business card I kept before

2. Record of employment

3. pay stubs

4. T4

5. Notice of assessment

Can I write a work experience letter myself? And a LOE for explain my situation along with these evidences listed above would be sufficient?

Please help.

Thank you very much.

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It's good that you have proof that he has refused to provide this letter however you are still missing a document which outlines your duties and responsibilities so that the agent can match those to your chosen NOC. Not having this could result in refusal.

Is there a third-party individual who can make a declaration of your duties? (former client?)

cayla

Dec 16, 2015
:-\

Thank you for your quick reply.

No, I don't think there is anyone can give that reference letter.

The last job was administration assistant, so most of my job duties were help around with the office, although I did answer some inquires from tenants, but I DON'T think I have the right to keep tenants' personal info.

So, I cannot write a work experience letter myself? even I have all of the evidences can support my statement?

miuonpak

Star Member
Dec 21, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
January 21, 2017
DelPiero07 said:
It's good that you have proof that he has refused to provide this letter however you are still missing a document which outlines your duties and responsibilities so that the agent can match those to your chosen NOC. Not having this could result in refusal.

Is there a third-party individual who can make a declaration of your duties? (former client?)

Do I need the letter for jobs that I'm not claim points for? Like my barista job, I only have ROE and pay stubs, but I'm not using the experience to apply under CEC, is the letter that outlines duties still required?

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
miuonpak said:
Do I need the letter for jobs that I'm not claim points for? Like my barista job, I only have ROE and pay stubs, but I'm not using the experience to apply under CEC, is the letter that outlines duties still required?
Not required if you're not claiming points for that experience. Once you receive your ITA you can add that information in the personal history section, no reference letter will be required.

miuonpak

Star Member
Dec 21, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
January 21, 2017
I've got ITA and the document checklist is only asking for employment records for all three jobs I had, including my current job that I'm claiming points. Letter of employment is not on my checklist, is this normal?

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
miuonpak said:
I've got ITA and the document checklist is only asking for employment records for all three jobs I had, including my current job that I'm claiming points. Letter of employment is not on my checklist, is this normal?
It's normal if you do not currently have a valid job offer.

miuonpak

Star Member
Dec 21, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
January 21, 2017
DelPiero07 said:
It's normal if you do not currently have a valid job offer.
So in this case I will upload the letter of employment for the job I'm claiming points to "employment records" section, right?

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
miuonpak said:
So in this case I will upload the letter of employment for the job I'm claiming points to "employment records" section, right?
You can add whatever you want, just remember that the only mandatory document is the reference letter which follows IRCC's guidelines.

Batman_is_Real

Dec 15, 2016
Toronto
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
cayla said:
:-\

Thank you for your quick reply.

No, I don't think there is anyone can give that reference letter.

The last job was administration assistant, so most of my job duties were help around with the office, although I did answer some inquires from tenants, but I DON'T think I have the right to keep tenants' personal info.

So, I cannot write a work experience letter myself? even I have all of the evidences can support my statement?
Former colleague can also sign the letter to decribe job duties, if letter is not on company letterhead you should get the notarized. Include that with refusal email from manager and LOE to explain situation with pay stub and any other employment record

cayla

Dec 16, 2015
Batman_is_Real said:
Former colleague can also sign the letter to decribe job duties, if letter is not on company letterhead you should get the notarized. Include that with refusal email from manager and LOE to explain situation with pay stub and any other employment record
Thank you. But no ex-colleague are willing to take the risk because the manager states very clear she won't provide any further letter.

What else I can do?

Please advice.

cayla

Dec 16, 2015
Re:please Help: previous employer refuse to give a reference letter

Hi all experts,

I try to get in touch with my ex-colleagues, till now with no luck.

The previous employer is a small company, had 5 person including the manager who refuses to provide me reference letter, I send email to almost everyone, and called several time, but haven't got any reply.

I also send email and letter to Director who also is the signing office, still no reply.

Please suggestions. Thanks a lot.

Have a wonderful weekend.