+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

HELP!!! Post Graduate Work Permit Program / LMO / Work Permit Extenstion

jeredl

Jan 12, 2010
Hello!

I've been extremely frustrated and confused by the departments and they keep referring me to each other. It would be a BIG help if any of you have any insight!

Here's my situation:

1. Studied in BC, Canada since 2002 under a study permit. Graduated from a fully accredited university in 2006 with one degree and again in 2007 with another.
2. I received the Post Graduate Work Permit in August 2007 and have been working here ever since.
3. My most recent employer (whom I've been with for over a year) is a non profit charity based in Vancouver BC.
4. I am one of two employees (the other being the executive director). The board and the director want to keep me indefinitely.
5. My PGWP expires at the end of August.
6. Originally I was told by Immigration that i didn't need an LMO since I worked for a charity, but than later I was informed I did since I was salary.
7. So I talked to the LMO office here in Vancouver and they said that I did need one, but my organization didn't need to conduct advertising for the position (here's the info from the site):

Category: International graduates holding a work permit under the Post Graduation Work Permit Program (PGWPP) of Citizenship and Immigration Canada.

Description: The employer wants to hire a foreign worker whose Labour Market Opinion exempt work permit, issued under the PGWPP, will soon expire.

Variation: The employer is making a permanent job offer in a skilled position (i.e. within NOC 0, A and B codes only) to international graduates who have completed the PGWPP. The employer is not required to demonstrate recruitment efforts.

Applicability: All Provinces

8. So now I'm confused. My employer will do whatever they can to get an LMO, but they've never done it before and we keep getting misleading information. Does anyone know anything about this?

yajumba

Star Member
Aug 3, 2010
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Seattle, USA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-06-2008
Doc's Request.
08-09-2010
AOR Received.
10-10-2008
IELTS Request
submitted with the application
File Transfer...
March 2009
Med's Request
22-07-2011
Med's Done....
27-07-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
07-10-2011
VISA ISSUED...
21-10-2011
LANDED..........
22-10-2011
Hi

Its a very simple process. Go to service canada website. Your employer has to fill out on online application form. The online application will ask questions like business number, number of employees, your job and responsibilities...then service canada will call your employer to verify all the information. Then service canada will issue positive LMO. Your employer needs to explain the variation of advertisement to service canada..very important..

Hope this helps

jeredl said:
Hello!

I've been extremely frustrated and confused by the departments and they keep referring me to each other. It would be a BIG help if any of you have any insight!

Here's my situation:

1. Studied in BC, Canada since 2002 under a study permit. Graduated from a fully accredited university in 2006 with one degree and again in 2007 with another.
2. I received the Post Graduate Work Permit in August 2007 and have been working here ever since.
3. My most recent employer (whom I've been with for over a year) is a non profit charity based in Vancouver BC.
4. I am one of two employees (the other being the executive director). The board and the director want to keep me indefinitely.
6. Originally I was told by Immigration that i didn't need an LMO since I worked for a charity, but than later I was informed I did since I was salary.
7. So I talked to the LMO office here in Vancouver and they said that I did need one, but my organization didn't need to conduct advertising for the position (here's the info from the site):

Category: International graduates holding a work permit under the Post Graduation Work Permit Program (PGWPP) of Citizenship and Immigration Canada.

Description: The employer wants to hire a foreign worker whose Labour Market Opinion exempt work permit, issued under the PGWPP, will soon expire.

Variation: The employer is making a permanent job offer in a skilled position (i.e. within NOC 0, A and B codes only) to international graduates who have completed the PGWPP. The employer is not required to demonstrate recruitment efforts.

8. So now I'm confused. My employer will do whatever they can to get an LMO, but they've never done it before and we keep getting misleading information. Does anyone know anything about this?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
jeredl said:
Hello!

Here's my situation:

I'm not sure this forum will put an end to your confusion :)

Human Resources and Skills Development Canada (HRSDC) is the government unit responsible for issuing LMOs.

The relevant information, and links to the LMO application, are here.
http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/eng/workplaceskills/foreign_workers/intstugrad.shtml

Get the application in ASAP.

You should submit your application for a work permit extension BEFORE it expires. If you do it online, where it asks whether or not you have an LMO, there are 3 choices - yes, no, and applied for but not yet received - select the last one.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/extend-worker.asp

Good luck!