+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

help! NOCs and job experience questions

scorpioswan

Aug 27, 2009
I've done a lot of research, but after it all, I'm still a little unclear on things.

I gradated from a Canadian University about two years ago, and I worked here for 10 months as a "sales assistant." Before I got the postgraduation work permit, I tried to get an LMO for this job; I did it recklessly and it was rejected, since they thought it was like a retail sales job.

Now I'm trying to apply for the CEC, and I don't want to make the same mistake again. I suppose my job is more like a secretarial job (which is #1241: Secretaries in the NOC... that's considered skilled, right?). Should I have my previous employer state that I was a secretary, not a sales assistant? Or should I just assume that my duties will state it for me, and on the form, put down that it's similar to 1241?

One final question about proof of a NOC code. My current job is a step down from my last job, at least skill-wise. I'm appealing with my employer to write a job experience letter stating that it has more responsibilities than just a "salesperson" job (which it does), in hopes it might be considered skilled. Will this work?

Thanks so much for reading this. I really, really appreciate it.

kevin09

Nov 27, 2009
Hi scorpioswan,

I got the same problem as you facing right now. My job duties are very similar to what a secreterial job is, but the title is different in the employment letter. If anyone is willing to share their similar experience here, I will much appreciate!

helios

Star Member
Oct 30, 2009
scorpioswan said:
I've done a lot of research, but after it all, I'm still a little unclear on things.

I gradated from a Canadian University about two years ago, and I worked here for 10 months as a "sales assistant." Before I got the postgraduation work permit, I tried to get an LMO for this job; I did it recklessly and it was rejected, since they thought it was like a retail sales job.

Now I'm trying to apply for the CEC, and I don't want to make the same mistake again. I suppose my job is more like a secretarial job (which is #1241: Secretaries in the NOC... that's considered skilled, right?). Should I have my previous employer state that I was a secretary, not a sales assistant? Or should I just assume that my duties will state it for me, and on the form, put down that it's similar to 1241?

One final question about proof of a NOC code. My current job is a step down from my last job, at least skill-wise. I'm appealing with my employer to write a job experience letter stating that it has more responsibilities than just a "salesperson" job (which it does), in hopes it might be considered skilled. Will this work?

Thanks so much for reading this. I really, really appreciate it.
Title is important, however job duties are even more important, since many (large) companies will have their company specific job titles (and it is usually not changeable). If you can not get your employer to change your job title, try to get your employer to add an additional job title. The truly deciding factor is the job duties matches or is closely related to the descriptions in NOC.

IW

Nov 6, 2010
Hi,

I'm so very glad for finding this blog.

I am also having similar issue with the job title.

I was hired initially with job title(and duties) skilled C. Few months went by, my duties increased and falls under NOC B.

However, boss isn't willing to change title.

She was trying to combine title -- something like 'accounting/billing' (which falls under NOC C)

I doubt it'll work. I see from some comments that duties are more important than title.
In this case, what's the best way to 'get around' the title-issue? If company stating that the duties matches with NOC B, is that good enough?

What kind of support they need to provide other than writing one line of sentence indicating 'duties match with NOC B'

I sincerely thank you and appreciate any advise. I really hope I can get some enlightenment. It's been very 'heavy' for me lately only to think about this. I can't imagine the waiting-period of the result once I submitted my application.

My life-plan depends on this, which is why I try to sort out this issue ahead.

Again, I thank you for the advise. :)

sukhinder

Aug 17, 2010
jalandhar
Category........
Visa Office......
NEW DELHI
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-12-2004
Doc's Request.
17-11-2008
AOR Received.
11-02-2005
IELTS Request
17-11-2008/7 bands
my friend's job's title is licensed insurance advisor (HOME & AUTO LOANS) in a canada bank. please help me in matching his NOC as he could not find exact code for insurance advisor.