+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help Needed

AjBuck

Jul 16, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Everyone!

I have been working as a HR Consultant for a year under my PGWP but my work permit will soon expire before I get a chance to apply for my CEC. What can I do to stay here as a HR Consultant do I apply for a new work permit? Ask my employer to assist me? Or, will I have to return home? Please your suggestions are very important....

hondaFan13

Jul 7, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
if you wish to extend your permit without applying under CEC that you need the LMO and all those items. You will need you employer to do this.
With CIC application and AOR you can apply for BOWP.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
AjBuck said:
I have been working as a HR Consultant for a year under my PGWP but my work permit will soon expire before I get a chance to apply for my CEC. What can I do to stay here as a HR Consultant do I apply for a new work permit? Ask my employer to assist me? Or, will I have to return home? Please your suggestions are very important....
1) Are you eligible to apply for CEC now?
2) RE expiration date of PGWP - How soon is "soon"?

AjBuck

Jul 16, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It will expire November 2014; I will be eligible for CEC in October 2014

thisisauser

Nov 23, 2012
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
AjBuck said:
Hi Everyone!

How long was the duration of your studies? Are you sure you've maxed out on your PGWP?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
AjBuck said:
What can I do to stay here as a HR Consultant do I apply for a new work permit? Ask my employer to assist me?

Or, will I have to return home?
Well, you could be more specific about the dates. For example, if you become eligible on OCT 31 and your PGWP Expires NOV 1, there's no room for option 2 (below). If you become eligible on Oct 1 and your PGWP expires Nov 30, that's almost two months and Option 2 is a better bet.

Your 3 options:
1) Ask your employer to apply for an LMIA so that you can apply for a new work permit.
2) Apply for CEC as soon as you are eligible; then apply for the Bridging Open Work Permit as soon as you get the Acknowledgement of Receipt.
3) Finish working and leave Canada. There's no requirement that you be in Canada - you can still apply. You can apply before you leave, and wait for processing, or you can wait to apply after you leave. Doesn't matter.

For info on the BOWP,
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2013/ob485A.asp?wbdisable=true

I realize that it says "expired," but the documentation that has replaced it offers very little information so far... As far as I know, these rules are still what VOs may use to determine eligibility for BOWPs.