+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help needed to prove bona fide marriage

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you want to receive any form of benefit in Canada or you earn any income then you have to file a tax return. It will be extremely difficult to live in Canada for the rest of your life if you never file a tax return. Technically possible if you have zero income but realistically unless you are homeless living on the street and not participating in society or under 18 especially with no SIN and no income Canada makes it very difficult not to file your taxes.
What about someone that earns less than the BPA (Basic Personal Amount)? Do they have to file?

Reactions: Kaibigan

Kaibigan

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2020
If you want to receive any form of benefit in Canada or you earn any income then you have to file a tax return. It will be extremely difficult to live in Canada for the rest of your life if you never file a tax return. Technically possible if you have zero income but realistically unless you are homeless living on the street and not participating in society or under 18 especially with no SIN and no income Canada makes it very difficult not to file your taxes.
I disagree with none of that. All I disagree with is your bald statement that she should have been filing taxes in Trinidad and that should be a way to provide proof of marriage. Unless Trinidad law requires her to file, then not filing is of no moment. In fact, even if required to file and she did not, all that means is a missed opportunity for evidence of marriage. However, since the OP was supporting both, maybe he was filing tax returns there and claiming her as a spouse and dependent. That would be useful evidence. Again, I am clueless as to Trinidad law and maybe there is no such thing there as claiming dependents, etc. Or maybe the OP was not filing, even though maybe he should have. Again, all that means is that there will be no supporting evidence coming by way of what was filed for tax purposes.

It seems to be that, no matter what, it should not be hard to prove marriage and 6 years of cohabitation. If married, as the OP says, surely there is a record of that, such as a marriage certificate. There would be evidence - that could be put in affidavit form - of friends and family attesting to knowing the couple as spouses for 6 years. There should be no shortage of evidence.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
You've changed the question to get the answer you want.

Yes, filing taxes is a Good Idea, and Recommended for most. That is not what you said though.

It is not, however, mandatory for all, which was your statement (or the implication of your statement.* There are lots of people for whom filing taxes is NOT required - although if it is required for them and they neglect to, even if it was an honest error, that is their fault and they may face the consequences thereof.

*And let's not play around with this: if one says, as you did, that "Canada does have mandatory income tax filing", and you then caveat that with "except for those who do not owe taxes and some other exceptions", that is the same as saying "It is not mandatory for those for whom it is not mandatory", which is logically nonsense.

Reactions: Ponga and Kaibigan

Trini star

Jan 1, 2022
I disagree with none of that. All I disagree with is your bald statement that she should have been filing taxes in Trinidad and that should be a way to provide proof of marriage. Unless Trinidad law requires her to file, then not filing is of no moment. In fact, even if required to file and she did not, all that means is a missed opportunity for evidence of marriage. However, since the OP was supporting both, maybe he was filing tax returns there and claiming her as a spouse and dependent. That would be useful evidence. Again, I am clueless as to Trinidad law and maybe there is no such thing there as claiming dependents, etc. Or maybe the OP was not filing, even though maybe he should have. Again, all that means is that there will be no supporting evidence coming by way of what was filed for tax purposes.

It seems to be that, no matter what, it should not be hard to prove marriage and 6 years of cohabitation. If married, as the OP says, surely there is a record of that, such as a marriage certificate. There would be evidence - that could be put in affidavit form - of friends and family attesting to knowing the couple as spouses for 6 years. There should be no shortage of evidence.
Lol
Wow
But A A
Yall ain't easy

Anyways i can comprehend your point
And you are right
There is no mandatory filing of taxes here
I dont even file tax here I'm exempt as I am a Hindu priest.

So please help me understand how to do this as in proving the bona fides to immigration

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Lol
Wow
But A A
Yall ain't easy

Anyways i can comprehend your point
And you are right
There is no mandatory filing of taxes here
I dont even file tax here I'm exempt as I am a Hindu priest.

So please help me understand how to do this as in proving the bona fides to immigration
Does she have a personal credit card in Trinidad that she uses? Or any kind of bank account with a bank card (doesn't have to be joint)?