+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help needed to prove bona fide marriage

Trini star

Jan 1, 2022
Hi everyone
I ( Trinidad citizen) and my wife ( canada citizen) met in a online dating site and we talked on whats app then met face to face 2 months after in Trinidad and got married on thr first meet up
Wife returns to canada and file my paper work about 1 year after i got fed up of waiting and ask her to withdraw my paper work snd come live here with me in Trinidad we have been living together for the last 6 years
Now we are planning to hsve her return to canada to live there and to sponsor me to come

We live in our family home and we never open bsnk accounts nor does she have any driverpermit etc

Can you all please give me some ideas on how to prove our marriage for immigration

Please and thanks

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi everyone
I ( Trinidad citizen) and my wife ( canada citizen) met in a online dating site and we talked on whats app then met face to face 2 months after in Trinidad and got married on thr first meet up
Wife returns to canada and file my paper work about 1 year after i got fed up of waiting and ask her to withdraw my paper work snd come live here with me in Trinidad we have been living together for the last 6 years
Now we are planning to hsve her return to canada to live there and to sponsor me to come

We live in our family home and we never open bsnk accounts nor does she have any driverpermit etc

Can you all please give me some ideas on how to prove our marriage for immigration

Please and thanks
You need proof that you have been living together for 6 years. She must have some documents proving she has been living inTrinidad. Has she been working there? has a phone contract with her name address? How has she been operating without a bank account?

Trini star

Jan 1, 2022
You need proof that you have been living together for 6 years. She must have some documents proving she has been living inTrinidad. Has she been working there? has a phone contract with her name address? How has she been operating without a bank account?
She not working here
No phone contract we use pre paid
We live off what i make
Guess we should open a bank account asap

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
She not working here
No phone contract we use pre paid
We live off what i make
Guess we should open a bank account asap
She must have some sort of proof that she has been living in Trinidad Other than a passport stamp. Has she not been applying for visitor status in Trinidad all this time?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Since she is a Canadian citizen, she can sponsor you now (via an Outland application). Doesn't address the question, but the process can start ASAP.

Kaibigan

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2020
You are required to file annual taxes in Trinidad
I'll take it you know the law there. I find it interesting. Canada has no mandatory filing of a tax return except for those who have income or owe taxes, or are requested to file, and in a few other very limited situations. Obviously Trinidad is different. So, do people like the OP simply file a nil return? Is there a penalty for non-filing? Or does Trinidad require one to pay taxes just for being there, even if no income? I'd like to see Canada do that. Impose a head tax. Here, too many non-filers and non-contributors. Maybe some lessons to be learned from Trinidad.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I'll take it you know the law there. I find it interesting. Canada has no mandatory filing of a tax return except for those who have income or owe taxes, or are requested to file, and in a few other very limited situations. Obviously Trinidad is different. So, do people like the OP simply file a nil return? Is there a penalty for non-filing? Or does Trinidad require one to pay taxes just for being there, even if no income? I'd like to see Canada do that. Impose a head tax. Here, too many non-filers and non-contributors. Maybe some lessons to be learned from Trinidad.
Canada does have mandatory income tax filing

Kaibigan

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2020
Where does it say that you don’t have to file taxes? CRA is giving a list of potential benefits to try to incentivize people filing when they may not file on time.
How else should one read this:

Do you have to file a return?
File a return for 2022 if:
The list goes on, as to circumstances in which it might be beneficial to file, or where you must. But I see nothing there saying you MUST file a return, come hell or high water. Or did I miss the mandatory language? It seems plain to me that many will fall outside of the requirement to file. Indeed, why did the CRA even posit the question "Do you have to file a return?" That carries an inference that you might not. Why not just state, in plain language, at the start, something like: "Everyone who resided in Canada for all or part of 2022 MUST file a return."

Last edited:
Reactions: Ponga and armoured

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
How else should one read this:

Do you have to file a return?
File a return for 2022 if:
The list goes on, as to circumstances in which it might be beneficial to file, or where you must. But I see nothing there saying you MUST file a return, come hell or high water. Or did I miss the mandatory language? It seems plain to me that many will fall outside of the requirement to file. Indeed, why did the CRA even posit the question "Do you have to file a return?" That carries an inference that you might not. Why not just state, in plain language, at the start, something like: "Everyone who resided in Canada for all or part of 2022 MUST file a return."
If you want to receive any form of benefit in Canada or you earn any income then you have to file a tax return. It will be extremely difficult to live in Canada for the rest of your life if you never file a tax return. Technically possible if you have zero income but realistically unless you are homeless living on the street and not participating in society or under 18 especially with no SIN and no income Canada makes it very difficult not to file your taxes.