+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help: My TVR request was refused inside Canada!

Sep 30, 2012
Hi guys,
Please help me if you can.
I am currently a PhD student in Canada.
My TVR request was refused inside Canada!
In the online application for TVR I was just asked for Passport scan, my photo and study permit. So, I did not provide the other documents such as Enrolment Letter from university in the online MyCIC. However, I sent the whole list of documents in document checklist IMM5721E by mail to CPP in Ottawa including all the forms and also my passport. After, 5 days I received a letter including all my original documents and passport which said:
“Your file is in process we don’t need your passport”.
The strange point was: they have returned all the other documents.
Now, today after about two weeks from my online application I received a message in MyCIC regarding my refusal of TVR! The message was from Los Angeles office not from Ottawa office!
The reason for refusal: “You did not provide the current enrolment and academic standing”.
So, should I have attached the enrolment letter online? I was not asked for and I had sent the letter by mail.
So, for the online application there is no need to send any thing by mail unless they ask for it such as passport just when the visa is approved?

Jalex23

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-04-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
mehranmontreal said:
Hi guys,
Please help me if you can.
I am currently a PhD student in Canada.
My TVR request was refused inside Canada!
In the online application for TVR I was just asked for Passport scan, my photo and study permit. So, I did not provide the other documents such as Enrolment Letter from university in the online MyCIC. However, I sent the whole list of documents in document checklist IMM5721E by mail to CPP in Ottawa including all the forms and also my passport. After, 5 days I received a letter including all my original documents and passport which said:
“Your file is in process we don't need your passport”.
The strange point was: they have returned all the other documents.
Now, today after about two weeks from my online application I received a message in MyCIC regarding my refusal of TVR! The message was from Los Angeles office not from Ottawa office!
The reason for refusal: “You did not provide the current enrolment and academic standing”.
So, should I have attached the enrolment letter online? I was not asked for and I had sent the letter by mail.
So, for the online application there is no need to send any thing by mail unless they ask for it such as passport just when the visa is approved?
Yes, once you send documentation you can't send anything unless they request it or unless such things are in the instructions (for TRV I am not sure if there are such exceptions). So sending your passport was a mistake, sending extra documentation was also a mistake.

Now, I haven't heard about this refusal reason. Usually it is not needed. Therefore I think you are not telling us the details of your application, that is when was the study permit given, when does it expire, when does your program was supposed to be done, why do you need an extension, etc. etc. if all these answers aren't obvious or they are somehow not what they should be (PHD taking 6 years on a 4 years program for example) then it is expected that you needed more documentation to support your request.

Sep 30, 2012
My study permit expires 15 September 2014, I want to finish my studies before this time.
I have renewed my passport here in Canada, so in the new passport I was just uploaded the image of first pages. All the other stamps and older visas was in my older passport.
Can the new passport be a reason?

Also, if the officer was not sure why he or she didn't ask for a letter from my university for clarification? I could easily send them a letter regarding my finishing my studies before the time of my study permit. There was no need for rejection.

Also, why I received the decision from Los Angeles while I am in Canada and Ottawa office is responsible?

So, should I reapply with an explanation letter and my scanned enrollment letter? I have send a enquery to the Los Angeles office. I don't know would they answer? Because in the refusal letter was mentioned my application is closed and I should submit new one!

Unfortunately :(, my father has died and I need to get my visa as soon as possible.

Jalex23

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-04-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
mehranmontreal said:
My study permit expires 15 September 2014, I want to finish my studies before this time.
I have renewed my passport here in Canada, so in the new passport I was just uploaded the image of first pages. All the other stamps and older visas was in my older passport.
Can the new passport be a reason?
If the application stated that a full copy of all passports was needed, then yes.

mehranmontreal said:
Also, if the officer was not sure why he or she didn't ask for a letter from my university for clarification? I could easily send them a letter regarding my finishing my studies before the time of my study permit. There was no need for rejection.

CIC can't be figuring out what you need, what you can provide or communicating with you. If they do this with you they should do this with everyone which would cause major delays and even more complaints. It is your sole responsibility to give immigration everything they need to come to a decision. If you omit something (knowingly or not) then don't expect officers to fill the gaps for you in good faith.

mehranmontreal said:
Also, why I received the decision from Los Angeles while I am in Canada and Ottawa office is responsible?
Ottawa office (any office) can move your request around as needed.

mehranmontreal said:
So, should I reapply with an explanation letter and my scanned enrollment letter? I have send a enquery to the Los Angeles office. I don't know would they answer? Because in the refusal letter was mentioned my application is closed and I should submit new one!
Most likely.

mehranmontreal said:
Unfortunately :(, my father has died and I need to get my visa as soon as possible.
You don't need a visa to leave the country. You can request the visa while visiting home.

In fact this is a common scenario. When our family members pass away, we fly out of the country regardless of anything and then at home we can apply for any documentation that is missing. You can use your father's death certificate to apply for an emergency VISA, this is a valid reason for request and will be much quicker than all this you are doing. Look for info on emergency visas.

Sep 30, 2012
Update of my situation:

I send an email with the attached enrollment letter to the office of Los Aneles.
The next day, I received the passport request and the status of my application changed from refused to Open.
Today, after 4 days from passport request I received an email from Los Angeles office that I should send my CV with the information of my field of study, name of previous supervisors, ....
Do you have any idea why they requested my CV? Is it a background check? And how long does it take generally to issue the visa after the CV request?
I should remind you I am now in Canada and still student.