01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Samhuang said:
How can i apply for LMO if I only have a month left on my PGWP and unemployed. and how long can I stay in the country after my PGWP expires.
You can't apply for an LMO. Employers have to apply for an LMO. You'd have to find a new employer who was willing to fill out the paper work. Because you are on a PGWP, they do not have to demonstrate recruitment efforts. As long as as the LMO application is submitted, you can apply for a new work permit (before the PGWP expires), and then you are authorized to stay until a decision is made - you'll be on "implied status."

But you're right, one month is not a lot of time for all of that to happen.

You are supposed to leave the country no later than the expiration date of your work permit, unless you apply to extend / change conditions of your stay before your current permit expires.

There is a 90-grace period. If you stay in Canada beyond the expiry date, and then apply for a new work permit, study permit, etc during these 3 months, you can apply for "restoration of status" (more $$$) along with the new application.

Beyond 90 days, you have simply overstayed and are out of status, no excuses.

jsm0085

Champion Member
Feb 26, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You have limited options.

1) Student route.

2) Find a new employer who is willing to apply for an LMO for you.

3) Submit CEC application quickly (do whatever you can to get ref. letter - first call would be to an immigration lawyer). After your application is submitted, wait a couple of weeks (ensure that your work permit is still valid) and then submit application for BOWP. Chances are by the time they process the BOWP, your completeness check on the CEC application will have been completed. It's important if you go down this route you ensure you make no errors in your CEC app - you can't afford to have it rejected at the initial stage.

Other than the above, your best bet would be to go home and await the processing of your PR application.

Samhuang

Jul 5, 2013
Now I might be able to secure a new employer... is it too late to file LMO application for my new employer? My PGWP will expire first week of Aug. Can I still work under the "implied status" before LMO gets approval? Thank you !!!!!

jsm0085 said:
You have limited options.

1) Student route.

2) Find a new employer who is willing to apply for an LMO for you.

3) Submit CEC application quickly (do whatever you can to get ref. letter - first call would be to an immigration lawyer). After your application is submitted, wait a couple of weeks (ensure that your work permit is still valid) and then submit application for BOWP. Chances are by the time they process the BOWP, your completeness check on the CEC application will have been completed. It's important if you go down this route you ensure you make no errors in your CEC app - you can't afford to have it rejected at the initial stage.

Other than the above, your best bet would be to go home and await the processing of your PR application.