+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help! If I leave Canada, will I be allowed back in?

yaz22

Apr 10, 2013
Here is my situation:

I am applying for permanent residency via common-law. I currently am on an after-study work permit that cannot be renewed, and expires in a month. I plan to leave for the month of June, and return to Canada as a visitor at the end of June. My PR application won't be ready until about September at the earliest, according to processing times. Even though I have been living in Canada for the past few years, I applied through London UK, not through Canada, as the processing times were much lower. Because I am from the UK, I do not require a visitor visa, however, my question for you guys is,

will they let me back in at the end of June?

I will essentially be living in my parents home in the US come June, and I plan to return back to the US at the end of August, so I will have a return ticket out of Canada. But I reeeeally need to be in Canada in August, as I'm getting married (to my sponsor) here!!! My timing could not be more off in this situation :(

Please help!

commonlawsponsor

May 29, 2013
Berlin
Category........
Visa Office......
Rome
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-02-2014
AOR Received.
08-03-2014
File Transfer...
10-03-2014
Med's Done....
21-12-2013
VISA ISSUED...
17-09-2014
LANDED..........
Will land 27-11-2014
The chances of you getting denied I think are very, very low however there is never any guarantee that you will be let in.
If you don't overstay any visas/work permits and have a return ticket, I think those are both good things.

Generally if you are from a country that needs a visa to visit Canada they will say don't tell them you are getting married, that you are just here to visit. But some Americans who are already married, and have proof that they submitted their application have had success being honest at the border - telling them they are going to wait out their application in Canada and it has been fine.

I would try to cross into Canada, saying you are going to visit for a couple months, show them your return ticket and chances are you will be ok. Don't stress too much!