+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help!! FT Education and a question about the medical?

popo

Jul 27, 2009
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
LONDON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Passport Req..
14-01-2010
Hi there,
My common law partner and I have just begun the grueling process of immigration to Canada. The problem is that I am a full time student studying in Canada. For this reason I don't quite hit the 21000 required to sponsor. In the 12 month period prior to the application I earned about 12,000. My common law partner on the other hand has been in fulltime employment- making the Canadian equivalent of about 55,000- and is considered a skilled worker.

I wanted to know how it works for fulltime students (also on OSAP- Ontario Student Assistance Program), can anyone help???

I will give some details about us if it helps:
He is a UK national- and I am a Canadian citizen- we have been living together for over a year... He doesn't have any children, previous marriages and no one else is applying with him.

If this FT education thing is a problem for us- does anyone know any way around it? Or are we going to be forced into the appeal process?

One more thing-
Appendix C for Applicants applying OUTSIDE of Canada requires that all immediate family get medical checks. While my partner has a small family- this whole process is going to cost him about $2000!!!! and all this not even knowing if he has hope of obtaining citizenship/PR??? Is this correct? It just doesn't seem logical? I would understand if it was just him BUT his whole family? His mother, father and brother are perfectly happy in the UK (with free medical here too) they have no intention to move to Canada, ever.

any advice would be soooo very appreciated.
Thanks for reading!

lesintheuk

Jan 9, 2009
There is no minimum requirement to sponsor a spouse. But you must declare whether you are on benefits or social assistance, I think OSAP would fall into this category so make sure you declare that.

On Form 3999E (The Immigrant's Guide):-

Your family members are your spouse or common-law partner, if applicable, and your dependent children
(start with the oldest). You must include all of your family members (who are not already permanent
residents of Canada or Canadian citizens), whether they intend to immigrate with you or not. Any other
relative (your mother, father, sister or brother, for instance) is not considered a family member for the
purpose of this application. If you have more than three family members, attach a separate sheet of paper
with the same information provided in the same order.

Meaning his brothers, sisters, mother, etc do not need to undergo a medical.

popo

Jul 27, 2009
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
LONDON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Passport Req..
14-01-2010
thanks for the reply..
yes I have heard that before - about the no income requirements.. but I cannot seem to find that in writing anywhere.. just hearsay..
should I call them? or does any one know where that is officially stated????

as for the medicals- thanks so much that is very useful information indeed!

lesintheuk

Jan 9, 2009
Why do you think that you DO need financial requirements to be met in order to sponsor a spouse? Guide 3900 (sponsor's guide):-

The Sponsorship Evaluation form (5481) will help us assess your past and current obligations with respect to
sponsorship undertakings you have signed or co-signed. Do not use this form if the person you are
sponsoring
• is your spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner and has dependent children who
have dependent children of their own, or
• is your child, or a child of your spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner, and has
dependent children of his or her own.
Instead, you must complete the Financial Evaluation form and attach it with your application. You can
obtain one by downloading a copy from our Web site, ordering it electronically on the application
page of our Web site or

In other words - you must complete the Financial Evaluation ONLY if you are sponsoring someone w/ dependent children or you are sponsoring a child. You are not, therefore you use form 5481 which is simply an evaluation. Yes, on form 5481 you DO need to fill in your financial situation and if you are unemployed (which I'm assuming you are given your FT student status) then simply fill this in, attach a letter of explanation on how you intend to support yourself and your spouse. If this means stating that your spouse is unlikely to require financial support b/c he is likely to find employment commanding x wage, etc etc. then do that, it all helps! But there is no firm requirement for the sponsor to make a set amount of money in order to sponsor.

ariell

Oct 9, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
lesintheuk said:
There is no minimum requirement to sponsor a spouse. But you must declare whether you are on benefits or social assistance, I think OSAP would fall into this category so make sure you declare that.
That is completely incorrect. OSAP is definitely NOT social assistance. OSAP is a loan that must be repaid with interest. You do not repay social assistance.