+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help for filling out IMM 1295 PGWP

Jun 5, 2014
Hello everyone,

I just graduated from McGill, and I am planning to apply for a post-graduation work permit. Since I am outside Canada right now, I was told to fill IMM1295. I have a couple of minor issues while trying to fill out the application pdf.

1) What type of work permit are you applying for? I see no option for PGWP. Here are all the options: Exemption from LMO, International Experience Canada(Co-op, other, young professionals program,working holiday),lmo stream, open work permit and other.
So what should I select? Other or Open work permit?

2) Secondly, what should I fill out for the employer name and address, since I don't have a job offer in Canada right now?

Thanks in advance for your replies. :)

starvjh

Jun 3, 2013
You should call and check with the call centre again as I was previously told that you can only apply for the pgwp within Canada. Also if you do a search, I remember coming across a post by an individual who was rejected as he/she applied from South Korea.

Jun 5, 2014
Hey Thanks for the reply.

I asked McGill authorities about it before I left Montreal, so I am sure that I can apply from the States. Just didn't know the category for PGWP. It looks like it falls under open work permit.

Hunter0603

Jul 16, 2014
I have the same problem. I just applied for one from the US and was completely unaware that one had to be in Canada in order to get a PGWP as it doesn't say it anywhere on the website. Even during the questionnaire when I put that I was currently in the US it didn't say that I was ineligible. Did you have a Canadian address that it could be mailed to or did you use an American one? Did you get approved for it? Thanks.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
Just talking strictly about the form entries (no idea about whether you can or can't apply from outside Canada)

You should choose open work permit (because PGWP is an open work permit) and "Other" is used for a closed work permit (i have a closed one and i was advised to chose Other for myself and OWP for my spouse).

In case of employer details you simply have to write "Not applicable". This is the same as a dependent spouse of a skilled work permit holder does i.e. it does not require a job hence does not mention employer details.