+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help could please use advice sponsoring American Husband!!!

Apr 13, 2016
Hello, my husband and I were married in Summer 2014, we are applying outland, and we have been waiting for months for his FBI background check. When it finally came in February, we were ready to hand everything in except for a couple things- now we just are waiting for my 2015 tax return, but I just read today that the FBI check needs to be 3 months recent for it to be acceptable- we only have a couple more weeks to wait for the tax return before the FBI check is no longer good, so my question is, has anyone ever sent in a spousal app without their Option C printout/Notice of Assessment??

Thanks so much for any help you can give, I have used this form a lot throughout everything but now finally made an account when I had this question. Also, has anyone had success in talking to CIC directly about these things?

Decoy24601

Champion Member
Aug 13, 2015
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-04-2016
AOR Received.
28-04-2016
File Transfer...
SA 27-05-2016
Med's Done....
23-03-2016 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
07-06-2016
LANDED..........
06-07-2016
You only need to use your most recent Notice of Assessment. So, since you don't have the 2015 NOA yet, you can use the 2014 one.

I just submitted my application on the 4th of this month with the 2014 NOA because my husband can't get his 2015 NOA yet, since his taxes haven't been processed yet.

Edit: You can print out your 2015 NOA from the CRA website. It's no longer required to call the CRA for a mailed copy of the Option C Printout.

Apr 13, 2016
Thanks so much for your advice, thats so great you sent yours in. I am feeling like we will never have all our ducks in a row, every time we get something seems like we are waiting for something else. Just wondering if anyone has successfully not sent an app without one, since it says "if you do not provide this, explain why" thanks for your help!

Decoy24601

Champion Member
Aug 13, 2015
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-04-2016
AOR Received.
28-04-2016
File Transfer...
SA 27-05-2016
Med's Done....
23-03-2016 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
07-06-2016
LANDED..........
06-07-2016
flyingsquirrel said:
Thanks so much for your advice, thats so great you sent yours in. I am feeling like we will never have all our ducks in a row, every time we get something seems like we are waiting for something else. Just wondering if anyone has successfully not sent an app without one, since it says "if you do not provide this, explain why" thanks for your help!
Since you can send in your 2014 NOA you don't have to write anything explaining it (they may or may not request the most recent one later on. I doubt it) as long as you include that one. It should be fine if you send in the 2014 version, since technically that is your most recent NOA.

I had to wait 18+ weeks for my FBI background check (I'm pretty sure it got temporarily misplaced), so I'm definitely glad to have my PR application sent off.

I know it's too late now, but it's not necessary to submit the FBI background check upfront as long as you include a written explanation of the long processing times and that you will send it later. I wait for mine to come before I sent the application since I wasn't in a rush, but it's not necessary.

Apr 13, 2016
Wow are you serious?? We waited seven months for that FBI check and then it got returned to us because they said there was a smudge on it and they it wasn't acceptable, and so we sent it in all over again which took another five months. Ok thanks so much, to be honest I don't have my 2014 NA either, I am waiting for that as well, it's my fault of course that I didn't file them asap...feeling so hopeless with all of this.
Thanks for your help!

Decoy24601

Champion Member
Aug 13, 2015
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-04-2016
AOR Received.
28-04-2016
File Transfer...
SA 27-05-2016
Med's Done....
23-03-2016 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
07-06-2016
LANDED..........
06-07-2016
flyingsquirrel said:
Wow are you serious?? We waited seven months for that FBI check and then it got returned to us because they said there was a smudge on it and they it wasn't acceptable, and so we sent it in all over again which took another five months. Ok thanks so much, to be honest I don't have my 2014 NA either, I am waiting for that as well, it's my fault of course that I didn't file them asap...feeling so hopeless with all of this.
Thanks for your help!
Yeah, it still could have delayed your application, since Ottawa is processing applications at 4-6 months right now, but it still likely would have saved you some time.

Did you file taxes in 2014? If so, you should be able to log into your CRA account online and print out a NOA for that year. If there's no way you can do that, then you can still send off your application without it and add a letter explaining your situation and saying that you will forward the 2015 NOA when you receive it. I would also provide paystubs going back 12 months (or as many months as you have. It's easier said than done if your employer doesn't issue online paystubs). Many people have successfully applied without a NOA, because they hadn't filed taxes in Canada. The CIC is normally fairly lenient with this.

Decoy24601

Champion Member
Aug 13, 2015
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-04-2016
AOR Received.
28-04-2016
File Transfer...
SA 27-05-2016
Med's Done....
23-03-2016 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
07-06-2016
LANDED..........
06-07-2016
flyingsquirrel said:
Yes I did file them, but they are not available online yet. Thanks a lot for your help :)
That's odd. Your 2014 NOA should be available online. My husband was able to print his out months ago.

It's no problem ;D. You can go ahead and send the application now with what I recommended above. It shouldn't cause any issues for you.