+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

HELP! Confirmation of Permanent Residence

Dec 27, 2020
Hi Everyone,

Can you help me clarify regarding the status of my PR application?

I submitted my PR application through Express Entry last October 24, 2022. Then I receive an email from IRCC regarding my the application of my permanent residence is approved. I believe I am at the state of COPR already?

But the thing is I applied and submitted my PR when I was in Canada and I went back home the following month because of my visa expiring and family matters. I was fully aware of the implications of exiting Canada without the PR yet but I need to get back home at that time. Then, I sent them a webform saying I changed my address and that I'm no longer in Canada.

Now just this month, I receive an email that my permanent residence application is approved and they sent me an email to follow the steps on finalizing the PR. I informed them that I was already outside of Canada and that I was going back this August. They replied stating - that they cannot proceed in creating a portal account as I am outside Canada. Then I need to inform them when I was coming back. And they showed the link how to obtain a visitor visa and covid travel restrictions.

Also, I haven't received any updates on my express entry profile. The last message showing was the acknowledgement of receipt for my application, which was last October 24, 2022.

My question is - what it the best next step should I take? I cannot travel back to Canada as I don't have any status anymore. I thought my application will then be the same as an outland applicant once I confirm I am outside Canada, so it wouldn't really be a problem. But now it seems that I need to go back to Canada on a visitor visa to finalize the COPR and get my PR card there.

Thank you for your help!

Chasechs

Sep 11, 2019
You have to call or reply to the Portal email and tell them that you are currently in your home country with no status to return to Canada. Additionally ask them to send you the "ready for Visa' invitation for you to visit the Canadian embassy in your home country. None of these things are automatic when you which address because they will simply assume you are taking a short travel outside of Canada. Ask them to switch the application to your local embassy for final steps (ready for visa and passport request). Good luck.