+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

HELP! Can I hold PGWP and Study Permit at the same time?

ahsjing

Oct 17, 2020
Hi there. I am going to complete my Master program this December 2020. I plan to apply for PGWP and work full time after then. However, I got admitted to a new diploma program, which will start from Jan 2021 and I need to apply for an extension of my study permit. If I want to enter the pool of Canadian Experience Worker, I need a year of full-time work experience. I am wondering if I am allowed to study full-time while working full time. Will that have any negative impact on my PR application?

assen89

Jun 30, 2017
I hold a PGWP and also got a study permit after I enrolled in CPA. However, CPA is part time, so not sure if they will approve your study permit if it is full-time.

ahsjing

Oct 17, 2020
CPA is part-time, you have to be working full-time to get the practical experience.
I know you mean you enrolled in the PEP for CPA, but my concern is that I want to use the one-year full-time experience after my graduation to apply for PR. CIC has said, "You cannot count work experience you gained while enrolled as a full-time student. Your work experience must have been gained while on a valid work permit, such as the Post-Graduation Work Permit". (https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=855&top=6) This wording made me confused when I want to work full-time while study full-time.

Petpea

Aug 19, 2020
It doesnt make sense to get PGWP when you plan on returning back to school knowing that this is only offered once in a life time.

Also, If you get a PGWP, you can absolutely apply for a study permit and get it but you must know that whatever work experience gotten while on study permit isnt counted towards PR application in the future.

Reactions: ahsjing

ahsjing

Oct 17, 2020
It doesnt make sense to get PGWP when you plan on returning back to school knowing that this is only offered once in a life time.

Also, If you get a PGWP, you can absolutely apply for a study permit and get it but you must know that whatever work experience gotten while on study permit isnt counted towards PR application in the future.
Thank you a lot Petpea!!! The work experience is always my concern. I think I might hold off the diploma thing.